bees bringing pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigavonb

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
If bees are bringing in pollen is it a sign that the bees have a queen?

Does it mean anything if the bees put pollen in the supers?

Bees bringing pollen is more often than not a good sign.

Yes you could have laying workers/dronelayer etc but 9 times out of 10 it means all is well in their world.

Should you try and prevent it so that you get pure honey to extract?

Definitely not. A much misunderstood sign.

Beg to differ but willing to be educated as to why I could be wrong

I'm not sure whether Storch "At the Hive Entrance" mentions it but I would suspect it does.

From my own observations, If there is pollen around, then I've never seen a queenright colony not bring in some pollen a few times a minute. On hopelessly queenless and broodless colonies with masses of pollen around I've never seen them fetch pollen in.

Does it mean anything if the bees put pollen in the supers?

Bees try to maintain a spherical nest, this often leads to an arc of pollen being stored at the base of the first super above the Queen excluder.

Queen less bees will collect pollen (sometime involuntarily ).
Bees Bucketing the stuff in is usually a good sign that all is well !!

John Wilkinson

I have seen many times queenless hives stuffed with pollen. These I should say are QUEENLESS hives which is to say no queen of any sort in them.

So pollen being taken in cannot be taken as a sign of anything. apart I suppose that pollen is available for collection.

PH

I have seen many times queenless hives stuffed with pollen. These I should say are QUEENLESS hives which is to say no queen of any sort in them.

So pollen being taken in cannot be taken as a sign of anything. apart I suppose that pollen is available for collection.

PH
I've seen many a hive stuffed with pollen !!!!
Usually collected before same went Queenless or should I say QUEENLESS ?

John Wilkinson

susbees So, ignoring the pollen=queen Q, how about pollen=larvae to feed?

it means the bees are expecting to need it some time in the future.

I was told they would only collect pollen if they needed to feed young or were in the process of raising a new queen and all was well in the hive.

Busting myths in bee keeping :hurray:

Still not sure abut this pollen in supers business. Is there anything that can be done to manage the situation?

I was told they would only collect pollen if they needed to feed young or were in the process of raising a new queen and all was well in the hive.

Busting myths in bee keeping :hurray:

Pretty sure Storch says pollen in = new queen laying. I think a thread to discuss his findings would be useful. I like the watching approach, but how accurate his findings are to others would be useful...

...for now the pollen myth remains another questionable... :(

Latest posts

Back