bees bite the queen legs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dro

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
„Well, the discussion has started in our club in an evening and revolves around the queen of bank . Them if they stay longer and in a cage with wire mesh bee about losing their patience and start to bite feet.
Here occurred the club president who is a student at UC apiculture Riverside and explained that a queen held hostage several weeks will have problems with bees when it will be released as Bees to bite the pheromone glands of the feet are gray in color.
Therefore disruption of the natural cycle of a queen for a very long time can become something fatal for her.
Also, when I went to Tom Glenn saw that he preferred to keep the queens in small nuclei after mating and artificial in the bank than on the virgin you do not like more than a week because otherwise it decreases the chance of success.”
Maybe I do not know the latest news about bees and therefore I ask your opinion.

Yes, when virgin is 3 days after emerging in the cage, workers may become agressive and make a cluster over the cage. There will be difficulties to give virgin to the hive. 5 days is about a limit.

When you give a new queen to the hive, and bees do not accept the queen, they often bite claws from leg or antenna away. That is why i do not set up the queen cage into the hive which is hostile. So I wait that they capp their emergency cells and then they accept all.

Tarsi
In the queen, it is an oily secretion of the queen's tarsal glands that is deposited on the comb as she walks across it. This inhibits queen cell construction (thereby inhibiting swarming), and its production diminishes as the queen ages.

Latest posts

Back