Bees behaviour??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichieDug

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 colonies
Can anybody explain why my two colonies become very active for about an hour most afternoons between 3pm to 4pm, the number of bee in the air and around the hive increases 10 fold, flying around the hives, flying around up to 10-20 foot in the air & become very noisey. Only to gradually calm and go back to normal??

This is my first season and I'm puzzled.

Regards RichieDug

It makes sense now, thanks.

I'm learning all the time .

Richie

Yes, it's the first orientation flights. because they just fly around, land, take off again and fly around a bit further, land...etc it does make the entrance look very busy!

If you get the same dense activity BUT they're also swirling around overhead in the middle of the day - beware, they could be preparing to swarm!

Or warm enough for the drones to get out and party and maybe meet a queen.

Good suggestion, but it also happens at times when there is no chance of 'drones hanging out' or of queens mating.

RAB

Watch closely. They actually take off backwards and back away from the hive. Then they can 'rewind the tape' and know what it should look like as they approach the entrance. Lovely to watch when you know what they're doing.:)

Latest posts

Back