Bees attack thai monks

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseCottage

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
From 5 to 2 and hopefully a better year
Have we had this already..?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-18568448

They still have the power for sensational headlines, even on the BBC...

Seems to me the word swarm may be a little misleading and the abbot stating that they had no idea why they attacked suggests he's not a beekeeper. Perhaps they were queenless, perhaps they were agitated by the cleaning process/chemicals, perhaps they were just posessed by the devil...

Sam

This happened at my local temple in Chiangmai. The bees were of the species Apis dorsata The Giant Honey Bee, which is indigenous to Thailand. They were not in hives but in several combs hanging from the temple roof. The monks were young novices and as young people tend to do were larking around in the temple grounds while they were sweeping it. The noise, colour, (lots of safron orange) and level of activity aggravated the bees which then defended their territory.

As this is a Buddhist country the bees have not been punished for their attack but apparently a sign has been placed in the temple grounds warning people to move about quietly when near the bees.

As this is a Buddhist country the bees have not been punished for their attack but apparently a sign has been placed in the temple grounds warning people to move about quietly when near the bees.

Very sensible, too.

As this is a Buddhist country the bees have not been punished for their attack but apparently a sign has been placed in the temple grounds warning people to move about quietly when near the bees.[/QUOTE]

:nature-smiley-011: i do like this aproch to life prehaps we should all take a little more care of what is around us. :nature-smiley-016:

This happened at my local temple in Chiangmai. The bees were of the species Apis dorsata The Giant Honey Bee, which is indigenous to Thailand. They were not in hives but in several combs hanging from the temple roof. The monks were young novices and as young people tend to do were larking around in the temple grounds while they were sweeping it. The noise, colour, (lots of safron orange) and level of activity aggravated the bees which then defended their territory.

Thank you, always nice to get an accurate account of events.

I think everyone should be Buddhist; it would make for a much peaceful world. I saw some YouTube videos on the giant honey bees, fascinating creatures. There’s a moth that gives off a bee like pheromone and manages to get into the centre of the cluster and steal their honey.

Look as if the forum is truly international. From one new member to another welcome Chiangmai Member

Last edited:

Thank you so much for taking the time to post and let us know what actually happened.

I hope all those stung make a speedy recovery and I'm glad to know the bees are also ok.

Last edited:
From the enlightenment post it might appear the the bees may not have actually been attacking, but defending. Retaliating to some provocation, which may have been accidental?

Don't you stand where trees are when the lightning plays
Don't you hate where bees are or else they'll fly away
!

Perhaps there is a bit of Buddhist in all of us?

Latest posts

Back