Bees at last!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBRNoTB

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
7: 1 KTBH . 3 14x12 , 1 Long fondationless 14x12 + 2 Nat +some empty ones :(
Got my first swarm (very first bees) for my KTBH on Sunday, left the travelling hive inside the TBH,entrance stuffed with grass overnight. Mid day Monday released the remainding grass, bees already flying and managed to tie one comb (empty) to a bar and shake them in. I know I know, find the Queen first but I could not see her and needed to get them out of the travelling hive. I fed them with 2 litres of 1to1 syrup. Now Wednesday, did a quick look through the inspection window they have built a full comb on the second bar and 3/4 of one on the third, both look very straight and beautiful! one very happy new beek!

Q; Do I continue feeding or just leave them alone?

PS I had left the hive in place for a couple of weeks hoping for a swarm of squatters no such luck but when I lifted the first bar some thing flew out, too fast to recognise. Lifted a few more bars and found the start of a wasps/hornets nest perfectly centred on the guide rail of the bar!. When I returned the next day with the T/Hive around 8.30-9.0pm she was there in the botton of the hive, very sluggish did'nt atempt to fly, will never fly now I'm afraid. But what a whoppa. ;)

Regards
roadster

Christ Roadster!
Just read your post in the nick of time; my hive has been in place for about 3 weeks and I am just collecting my first colony this afternoon, Think I will just run out and give a quick check for wasps or Hornets....
All the best, Graeme

Latest posts

Back