Bees at entrance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E1M

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Good morning,
Can anybody explain why one of our hives have a larger number of bees, literally, hanging out of the entrance.
The others do have some but mostly remain inside, or at the entrance. They have been doing this for some days now.
When we inspected, yesterday, there was nothing unusual about the colony. No Queen cells, not overcrowded, not aggressive, fair amount of BIAS, good stores.
Any ideas please?

Getting some air or wafting cool air into the hive.

I would agree but why only them, the other hives are in the same area?

Our bees hang out when they are overcrowded or they are too hot. Sometimes until well after dark in the summer months

Yes, Pman, I tend to agree that it must be overheating, they are not overcrowded.
Where in New Zealand?

Does anyone remember when my bees did this and someone from the forum had to come and help me put in the entrance block? Of course, the swines were all back inside when we got back. Bees huh?

I wouldn't worry about it, each hive will have different conditions and will behave differently - from what I remember.

We are on Hamilton in the Waikato . The bees aren't hanging out at this time of the year it's mid winter here although it's a mild one at that

Bees at the Entrance

I recently did my Basic Assessment. I arrived early and was shown room the Apiary by the guy who managed them. I spotted one hive where the bees were bearding on the front and said that hive is always like that. None of the others were...

Hmmm, just goes to prove, they are all different!
Thank you.

Latest posts

Back