Bees are OUT!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busy Bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Today my bees are out in force, better still they are bringing back pollen UNBELIEVABLE,

Would that be a indication the Queen has started to lay, I don't know but to me things are looking pretty good with the hive(s). I suspect the pollen is wins (gorse), its the only plant I see around with flowers. Has anyone else got this at then moment? By the way the area is Border of N. Ireland.

Kind regards

Busy Bee

Would that be a indication the Queen has started to lay

No, but might. Might also indicate she might be starting over the next few days, even couple of weeks, depending on the weather. They probably have more idea of the order and timing of brooding than we do! If weather is good enough and there is some benefit to the bees, in flying for forage, they will do it.

Regards, RAB

Lifted the lids to check fondant on hives this morning.
Weather is cold at 3-4c and they have enough for the next couple of weeks.
I hope that's the last peek until I can open them up.

Hi Busy Bee.....
Over here in North Sligo, they were bringing in mostly hazel, but the occasional load from whins as well....

P F

Very hectic yesterday, but not out today.

Went out in the car today and noticed.....It is SPLATTERED.:ack2:

They must have wanted revenge on me for something :)

Ours were out in force yesterday, not today. They were working the snowdrops, but there's not a lot else out yet.

Lifted the lids to check fondant on hives this morning.
Weather is cold at 3-4c and they have enough for the next couple of weeks.
I hope that's the last peek until I can open them up.

could i ask how much fondant is 'enough' and how you put it in? I mean in big blob, as a flat Pattie or what??

P

I place the fondant over one of the porter escape holes in the crownboard.

I cut off a block of around 6lb(quater of a box) as an emergency feed and wrap it in cling film,That way it does not dry out like stone.

When I get to the hives I take a knife and make a hole in the wrapper about the size of the hole in the crownboard and lay it on top.

If it's a big colony I give 2 blocks,one over each hole.

I never lift the crownboard until the temp is 10-12c+ and the night frosts have finished.

If they seem a little light I just add the fondant,If they need it they will take it.

As far as I am aware they feed on fondant straight away but will store syrup when offered.

I have split a block of Fondant into Chinese takeaway containers and then seal until needed. Just take the lid off and place over crown board hole.

I make sure that the hole is at one end of the container as when it comes to replacing it, I just slide the new one next to the old so that they both cover half of the hole each. This is mainly because the old box is full of bees when you want to change it and you do not want to open them up.

They soon find the new stuff and leave the empty box alone then you slide the new box along to cover the full hole and take the old box off.

This is interesting as I've seen quite a few posts (can't remember where) suggesting a flat "pattie" of fondant directly on top of the frames is more effective.

Must admit, having used this method this year, I'll be placing fondant on top of the crownboard hole next winter to avoid lifting the board in cold weather.

All good experience.

PeterS if it is cold the bees will not move up to the fondant above the crown board that is the reason for putting it directly onto the brood frame tops.

I see pro's and cons for both.

Direct on frames, bees will have ready access, but risk when lifting crown board and you cannot see if they need more.

Over Crown board, do not need to go into brood box and you can see what they have/have not eaten, but the hole may not be over the cluster.

I like the ease that Chinese take away boxes give for speed and advance preparation.

Six of one half a dozen of the other?
:hat:

i were putting it on the coverboard hole, i noticed that some bees are fighting to get to it. so i chose the put it on the top bars, i flattern it before removing the roof lift the coverboard and place it over the cluster( max of 1-2 seconds the coverboard is lifted),.

i were putting it on the coverboard hole, i noticed that some bees are fighting to get to it. so i chose the put it on the top bars, i flattern it before removing the roof lift the coverboard and place it over the cluster( max of 1-2 seconds the coverboard is lifted),.

Each to there own Thurrock,I am starting to to think stress plays a very large part in bee problems so prefer not to crack the crownboard all winter.

They are in a slumber and the shock could be a problem,not the heat loss.

When I checked on Sat one hive had none left.
So adding more created a problem because the cluster was on top of the frames - difficult not to squash them but I took my time. Was 7 degrees so I knew I didn't have long but didn't want to kill any.

Latest posts

Back