Bees are in a small cluster at the entrance in the night

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john1

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
HI,
I had been to the garden around 9.30pm and I noticed the bees are in a small cluster at the entrance of the hive.
Please see the attached image.
I am wondering whether it is because of the hot weather the bees are outside. I hope they are not planning to swam.
Thanks,

Attachments

• beesincluster.jpg
    beesincluster.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 2
There’s also possibility of increase in colony to the point of heavy congestion in brood box and them not utilising space upstairs in super. This happened to one of my hives, a cast swarm I caught. I didn’t have a nuc but had a bs hive so put them in. Couldn’t believe how their numbers increased. I noticed one night there was so many outside entrance so I inspected and they were struggling for room even though they had a super on to moved up. Anyway I swapped end frame for a frame of foundation in brood box. They were not short of stores and plenty coming in. Worked out and solved it. Just thought I’d share that if it’s of interest. I’m only at this 3 years so maybe someone out there could tell me if I was doing it right 👍

Thank you so much. Glad to hear nothing to worry.I
I've just given this one another super .... didn't make a lot of difference ... I think on these warm nights some bees just prefer hanging about outside the hive.

The other colonies have bees outside the entrance but not as pronounced as this one ...

Attachments

• Bee Party.jpg
    Bee Party.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1
doubt it's even the heat - bees often beard on the outside when they are ripening honey as they need more space inside to shift the air/moisture around

Last edited:
doubt it's even the heat - bees often beard on the outside when they are ripening honey as they need more space inside to shift the air/moisture around

think its both

ripening means cooling also

and thats is a question mark of when is best to feed bees for winter stores without cooling them much

Latest posts

Back