Bees and syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
Do bees still take syrup if there is still a flow on? I am wondering if they will take it when we put a feeder on next week as they are still bringing back a fair amount of pollen and lots of bees flying.....don't know what they are carrying lol

Sent them a text message and ask...

Sorry.....:willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

If the feed is nearer I suppose that will be the easiest option for them...

Sent them a text message and ask...

Sorry.....:willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

If the feed is nearer I suppose that will be the easiest option for them...

:rofl: :p

no, seriously, I would have thought that they would prefer the real thing.....although maybe bees don't really notice a difference

Mine take from a feeder while loads is coming in....lazy days - never turn their noses up at a free meal!

:rofl: :p

no, seriously, I would have thought that they would prefer the real thing.....although maybe bees don't really notice a difference

if the pollen is a dull yellow and in very large amounts to the extent you have pollen bundles all over the varroa board then it will be ivy pollen, and yes feed ,it is best to dilute the ivy nectar that sets like concrete

Nah - not allowed...just sneaked a poly hive into the shed so I'm practising my excuses...

Once they know the feed is there then yes they will take it even if nectar still out there! why burn energy to collect when it is right next door!

All our apiary hives are taking a couple oflitres every three days (except a newbee with a homemade rapid feeder who has prolific buckfasts on double brood (he's had 85lb off them - 3+ supers) - his have taken a few gallons(!) every week for last few weeks.

Ivy? HB?

Yeah, they will take the food - anything for an easy life. The only thing that will prevent them from taking food is chilly weather.

Sorry, I meant the ones without pollen. They carry nectar, water or propolis don't they? Is there anything else?

I get the distinct impression that one of mine will guzzle what it can from the feeder, while the other prefers to bring in from the outside and only feeds when there is no alternative.

Like most things bee related I guess "it depends...."

All my six hives are taking syrup down at a rate of 0.5-1.5l per day regardless of weather / nectar flow!

I am starting to wonder if the sugar mountain I bought was enough, it is now down to a small hillock!

All my six hives are taking syrup down at a rate of 0.5-1.5l per day regardless of weather / nectar flow!

I am starting to wonder if the sugar mountain I bought was enough, it is now down to a small hillock!

lol, this will be the first time I have ever fed bees, so will be interested to see how much they take.

Love your profile pic btw :p

Mine are feeding 2-1 syrup and bringing in loads. They seem really happy and bright and I'm sure if they were full they wouldn't take the syrup

Well, it will be the end of the Apilife treatment on the 14th Oct, the day after we will be inspecting them and starting to feed. So, I will be bee keeping on my birthday :D Lets hope the bees don't have a little pressie for me lol.

On a serious note, I will be interested to see what's going on in there. They had just started to store in the cells that had brood in the super the last time we looked.

Latest posts

Back