bees and horses

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Google shows Hunters Farm Nutley as belonging to Elizabeth not Anne, and is not a farm.

Hunter Farm near Nutley (Newick) is not a farm and doesnt have a pond.

Google shows Hunters Farm Nutley as belonging to Elizabeth not Anne, and is not a farm.

Hunter Farm near Nutley (Newick) is not a farm and doesnt have a pond.

Well that's probably as you are looking in the wrong place. Newick is some 10 miles away from Nutley.

I guess Anne maybe the name she goes by... Or maybe you are called Dishmop? My name isn't even Tony.

All I do know is this event did actually happen. Whilst as I said... A one off!!!

Forgive me for pointing it out!

Whoosling - do your research and make your own informed decision.

Well that's probably as you are looking in the wrong place. Newick is some 10 miles away from Nutley.

Hence the word "NEAR"

Therefore as you seem to have eliminated that one, is the other one (which is also not a farm) the place where you say you know this is supposed to have happened?

Last edited:
Again... Pardon me for pointing it out.

I didn't expect their to be so much poison from someone. I thought the bee community was a nice one.

How wrong I was!!

Again... Pardon me for pointing it out.

I didn't expect their to be so much poison from someone. I thought the bee community was a nice one.

How wrong I was!!
Poison? No. Just asking.

You said she's one of your neighbours so I thought you could tell me where this farm is where she lives.

Hence the phrase "close by" as in Not Norwich just like your "near"

I too am a good few miles from Nutley 15 - I checked my posts and I don't see the word Neighbour

As I said it was all over the news here... That is all!!

And my apologies again for posting!

So all you know is what you read in the paper?

thanks for all of your repiles I'll pass on all the info to my brother, who insidentaly has loads of space for bees and horses living on Bodmin moor, perhaps living on the moor may be more of a challange for the bees than the horses. I think maybe my sister-in-law is thinking up excuses not to have bees at all and she usually wins an argument!!:thanks:

Dear Beekeepers,

Here is a copy of an email from Keith Obbard from High Weald Beekeepers.
Very upsetting and completely awful.
Regards
Jacky Eustace

Dear HWBKA Member

I expect by now you may have heard that one of our new members at Nutley have had an awful tragedy involving their four horses, which were severely stung.

One of the horses managed to jump into the section of the field where several bees were kept, and it appears that a hive was knocked over and the horse was stung.
The horse panicked, and practically all the hives in the apiary were knocked down, and the horse was severely attacked.
This attracted the other three horses in the field to come over, and these too, were severely stung.
As a result, all four horses died of heart failure.
Our sympathy goes out to the members involved, and we would wish to avoid any such thing ever happening again.

This is a very tragic and rare occurrence, and in many places horses are kept near to bees without any problems, but there is an old saying "bees & horses don't mix", and it would seem that we need to re-learn a salutary lesson.

Under normal circumstances cattle and sheep are not bothered by bees at all, and it is fine to keep bees in an adjacent field.
It is vital , though, that your fences are very well stockproofed.
Many people with chickens keep them close to the bees, and there is no problem there.

With horses, it would be sensible to keep a field's distance between them and the bees, at least 100 yards, and to be aware of bridle paths, etc.

As we know, bees do not like some odours, particularly strong ones, which may contain scents similar to some of their pheromones. An example of this are the citrus type fly sprays, which are reputed to upset the bees.
If you handle horses, it is best to wash and change before handling the bees, just to make sure you are not taking any strong odours with you.

This email is going to High Weald members and others we believe to have bees, in order to make beekeepers aware to the risks, however rare.

Lionel
Newsletter editor

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11539

Bee's killed a horse and badly stung a second one, plus the owner, down my way a couple of seasons ago......

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5954&highlight=horses+killed+bees

By the way I've suggested the best course of action is to get in touch with his nearest beekeeping assoc.

Thanks Hivemaker,
That's the scenarios I have heard in my parts of the UK. Makes sense to me. People think they can put hives in a field, but not if there is farm animals that can get to the hives! Farm animals often get out from where they are fenced in as we all know. Secured apiaries are required.

We have 8 horses on one of our mating nuc yards with about 1000 nucs on and they regularly come up to us whilst we catch queens or put cells in. I think they learnt about sugar syrup. Never been a big problem they put their noses right in.
(Apologies about quality was taken on my work phone)
IMG-20130111-WA0001_zpse35d0cf5.jpg

IMG-20130111-WA0002_zpsfd1cd70a.jpg

forgot to say beautiful pictures:thanks:

I like horses and dogs and i have 3 horses. I always take care of my horse in a best way and i give them quality supplements and food so that their muscles can become healthy and strong also. Sometimes my horse become aggressive so i also use some horse calmers to keep them calm.

My old Ukrainian mate told me of when he was young, his father (a beekeeper) had him plough a field , telling him to stop short of the apiary by x number of metres! ,explaining that bees don't like sweating horses and whereas a horse can get away with grazing close, a working horse and this includes a ridden one can enflame passion within bees that has to be seen to be believed!!
Needless to say Peter (Petro) pushed his luck, got closer than told not to . The inevitable happened, the horses came under attack ,broke the traces and hared off with Peter in hot pursuit!
A salutary lesson learned!
He told me this story in response to my question about a horse close by my bees .
VM

Seems that there is a problem if the only source of water for the bees is the place where the horses drink ....so ensure that the bees have access to water in the apiary area - away from the horses...

One of the horses managed to jump into the section of the field where several bees were kept, and it appears that a hive was knocked over and the horse was stung.
The horse panicked, and practically all the hives in the apiary were knocked down, and the horse was severely attacked.
This attracted the other three horses in the field to come over, and these too, were severely stung.
As a result, all four horses died of heart failure.
[/url]

That sums it up well. The horse knocked over a hive, got stung, knocked over more hives in panic...

It wasn't that the bees attack horses willy nilly, they attack anything that threatens the hive. It could have been you, me or a passing cyclist, a cow, an elephant...

Good fences make horses and bees good neighbours.

I used to have horses next to my hives. If a bee got in the grass when i was inspecting and the horses tried to eat it they would get stung on the lips but it didn't worry them unduly, a bit of snorting and head shaking, after a few stings they knew to keep away from the man in the white coat but I never had a problem with a bee stinging a horse for no reason!
E

We moved 25 colonies to a site last week with horses next to them - no issues so far.

I have horses and bees. Its only using common sense to position the hives so the horses cannot get closer than a couple of metres of the hives and definitely not into the flight path. The hives share an area with the chickens so I placed them elevated to stop chickens sampling any bees on the alighting boards and also have a water dish with stones in it on the hive stand. Co-existence only needs a bit of logic. :)

Latest posts

Back