bees and chickens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massa

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
hi, i am wanting to site a couple of hives on my allotment (i have permission etc) but i am wanting to know if my chickens will cause a problem they will not be able to get to the hives as they will be fenced off but they will be close

they will not be able to get to the hives as they will be fenced off

That is not the problem. Bees are very able to defend themselves from chicken attack and consideration of 'the other way round' might be more appropriate.

RAB

Addition: Thanks HM. I was about to go look for the link.

Chicken and bees

My allotment has both, my chickens are penned up 25ft away and in 2 years I've never had a prob, my doggy hates my bees tho

mine have always co existed happily

Ours roam the garden and never had an incident. If anything they're a benefit as they eat any dead bees, larva discarded by the hives reducing risk of disease.

2 yrs ago a queenless colony attacked my turkeys,geese and my dogs but left the chickens alone !! The bees seem to be attracted to the drinkers i put out for the birds. The birds are all free range. PS united the colony with another and they are now really nice to handle.:)

Never had a problem with bees and my chickens and bees often make use of the drinkers. The bees don't like my Parsons Russell though and he now actively avoids going anywhere near them.
S

PS I think its the 'doggy ' smell they seem not to like, will try covering him in Brut!

my rooster had a bee trying to sting it once,caught up in its neck feathers,it ran up and down the garden making a right racket,it really was funny,not so funny for the rooster though.i removed the bee and all was fine

our bees are in the chicken area of the garden. the chickens will sit next to the hives on the stands and also ontop of the hives sometimes. never seen any problems with the bees giving the chickens hassle or the other way round.

the chickens do eat the dead bees though which is quite good.

Same as above, no bother with bees and chickens, but its really funny watching our dog make a big circle to avoid the hives.

Never had a problem with bees and my chickens and bees often make use of the drinkers. The bees don't like my Parsons Russell though and he now actively avoids going anywhere near them.
S

PS I think its the 'doggy ' smell they seem not to like, will try covering him in Brut!

I have three dogs and its the Parsons Russell that gets picked on the most ,they seem to get tangled in his fluffy coat.

Back