bees and a nuc of mine.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poggle

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was doing some work this afternoon near to the house. I have an empty nuc there a well. I slowely got aware of a few bees wandering through the air around me. When I looked they were buzzing around the nuc. Would they have been searchers from a swarm or just bees that smelled the nuc and the frames that are in it? I moved the nuc anyway as we have asmall child in our area and I didn't want her to come wandering out as a swarm came hertling into the area. We do have a hive in the apex of one of the roofs here and this got me wondering.

Not sure whether I should reply here but here goes.

The 'hive in the apex'; is this a bait hive or a feral colony?

Not sure whether I should reply here but here goes.

The 'hive in the apex'; is this a bait hive or a feral colony?

We noticed the other day we had bees going in and out at the apex to one of the flats. I have no idea if there are any other keepers in my area or close to me anyway where a swarm may have came from. It is quite possibly a Feral colony.

Poggle,

Could well have been some scout bees looking around indeed

James

Hi James. This is what my other half thought. She also reckoned I could put a nuc box "out there somewhere" to see if we attracted a swarm. Where we live is is a private communial area, there are children running around and I don't think it would have beena goodly idea!

Attracting a swarm to your nuc box with children around does not seem to be a good idea. Perhaps it is better to keep the entrance block closed if you are just storing the nuc. If you want a swarm you could put the nuc box somewhere else. Alternatively you could leave the nuc open but have another site to move it to once occupied.

Latest posts

Back