Bees all in a tiz - why?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I visited my main apiary at 3pm today. On entry I was taken aback by large numbers of bees from most hives, but one in particular, swirling madly around their respective hives. My first thought was an imminent swarm - but the SBI went through my hives six days ago and there were no signs of swarm preps.

I took 15 minutes to do a small job on one colony by which time the inferno had settled completely. This roughly coincided with my neighbour c. 40m away (across a lane and two hedges) ceasing to deploy his ride-on mower which was quite noisy.

Can anyone explain the frenzy?

It might depend on the specific ride-on, but I mow up to a couple of feet away from my hives with ours and they don't get stressy. They really didn't care at all a couple of days back when I was mowing the grass a bit further away (still probably only 5m away) with the tractor and topper.

James

I visited my main apiary at 3pm today. On entry I was taken aback by large numbers of bees from most hives, but one in particular, swirling madly around their respective hives. My first thought was an imminent swarm - but the SBI went through my hives six days ago and there were no signs of swarm preps.

I took 15 minutes to do a small job on one colony by which time the inferno had settled completely. This roughly coincided with my neighbour c. 40m away (across a lane and two hedges) ceasing to deploy his ride-on mower which was quite noisy.

Can anyone explain the frenzy?

Did your visit perhaps coincide with the sun breaking out, after a period of rain?

No rain for 36 hours. Cloudy bright all day, rather chilly wind. Just could be the explanation.

It's usually just something in the weather that triggers all the hives to go "right, time for orientation flights, everyone who hasn't already done one get out there"

Can't believe it was the mower if it was 40m away. My neighbour has a ride on that he uses just 10m away through a hedge, and they don't seem to respond to that, thank goodness.

All my hives did that over the last two days. There is loads of brood emerging and suddenly the weather is right for them to take a trial flight and orientation lesson! Hundreds of them going for it. You can tell it isn't a swarm because loads of bees will be facing the entrance just hovering aimlessly. Wonderful to watch. All gone in 20 minutes!

Back