Beer Barrels

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Queen Bee
Reaction score
UK, Birmingham, Sandwell. Pork scratching Bandit c
Hive Type
National
for all you how brewers out there i have legaly aquired a pair of beer aluminium barrels there are the 9 gallon ones with the triangle top valve . i use them as fermentaion vessels but i remove the top valve or i side drill a hole for the bung and air lock for when they are side ways. i only want £10 each plus postage or delivery for them because this is what they cost me. any takers
View attachment 1172

Last edited:
Won't the aluminium stick in their teeth ?.

John Wilkinson

Cavities for 2m John, with automatic seasonal frequency adjustment?

2 metres = Charlie Bravo :(.

John Wilkinson

Do you mean the old Birmingham repeater ?

I worked that and 2 metres generally in the late 70's and early 80's but gave up when pirates and inane operators overwhelmed it.

I haven't operated much for more than 20 years, but I've got a Kenwood TH G71 which I've never used, and have just purchased a mint Kenwood TS 830S from a silent key estate.

What's the band for chat these days. ?

apologies for off-topic, pm me if you've got any useful info.

:)

Do you mean the old Birmingham repeater ?

I worked that and 2 metres generally in the late 70's and early 80's but gave up when pirates and inane operators overwhelmed it.

I haven't operated much for more than 20 years, but I've got a Kenwood TH G71 which I've never used, and have just purchased a mint Kenwood TS 830S from a silent key estate.

What's the band for chat these days. ?

apologies for off-topic, pm me if you've got any useful info.

:)
I'll drop you a pm.
Apologies to all.

73s John Wilkinson

Pete, the commonality is that aluminium beer barrels could, at a pinch, be used as tuned cavities.

You don't need something that big to fill with oil to cool a dummy load. We don't generate power to sink it into oil you know.

Not sure what sort of frequency 9 gallons works out at.

John, there be satellites on 2m and 70cm not just M3/M6 ex CB. SSB is still there for the sane.

Did you manage to sell your barrels Pete? I think that they are making a lot more from stainless steel now, because of people stealing casks and attempting to weigh them in.

by rights all beer barrels belong to a brewery and as such all breweries have a programe of theft enforcement called barrel watch or cask watch, if anyone is seen selling one on ebay etc or at a scrap yard they call the police straight away.

i got hold of my three from a scrap yard in brum that takes all the scrap barrels from a brewery and as such were outside of the scheme. but its very rare and hard to get hold of them.

i do a lot of home brewing and find the 8-9 gallon ones with the old type wooden taps brilliant for storage of wines, ciders and beer when i have to make that much up.

it was that when dad died he also left me some more which i did not need so i was offering them to someone else.

alas they have all gone now even the ones i used to own as i had no realy use for them.

as for the radio hams. thats some thing i was allways interested in, when i used to work on ships at sea even listening to channel 16 ( old money) was interesting but the best part of the fortnight was listening to the conversations when we were queing to use radio portishead in bristol so we could get a telephone connection to talk to mum and dad

big or small you all had to wait your turn and never let a que jumper win.

i rember once them tell one of the cruise liners to turn there power down or turn off completley as it was interferring with a guys call to his wife, they were well put out by that.

i suppose everyone uses sat phones now !! shame

one of the other silly ones was when i first had permission to use portishead radio, as i was at sea in front of my captain i had to stick to maritime radio speak whilst my dad did not unfortunutly he did not understand and the conversation went some thing like this

" thank you portisheaad radio, over, Hello dad how are we over"

" we are ok son why disd you say over son?"
"because i am not in a telephone booth in suez i am at sea, over"
" over, do i have to over all the time son, over , over"
" no dad you just speak down the telephone as normal and egnor what i do at times , over"
" rodger, over, son, are you sure thats not needed, rodger"
"yes dad just speak normaly , over"
" so how is mum ,over"
"shes fine i will bring her over, over ,rodger"
and so on, untill so far alone portishead breaks in
" boat name, boat name, boat name this is portishead radio, over you have 2 minutes left , over"
now dad starts with the whos he talking to, " get off the bl**** line i am talking to my son, rodger"
" dad his name is not rodger it the people who have made this call possible , over"

and so on untill they kill the line, next time i called from the phone booth shop as it was easier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be careful if you remove the spear (the triangle bit) there could be enough pressure in cask to shoot spear 4 or 5 mtrs into air:willy_nilly:

John D

Hedgerow... just to bring you up to date..

Channel 16 is still in use.... but most ships radios now have a selective calling system, where you can punch in a "ships" telephone number. (MSSI)

16 can still be used to call other ships or coastguard etc as befor... but we now have a magic RED button to use in cases of distress, with 7 pre selected events including MOB, fire, medical, immanent sinking, and piracy attack!

Of course the old voice "mayday" and "pan pan" are still responded to, but the coastguard only has a "general listening watch"

Nothing to do with barrells or beekeeping... so my profuse appologies to those who belong to the "forum police"!

I want something wide enough for cleaning national brood and supers ie circa 30" wide with enough room allowing for the corners etc. I am not that far from you and could collect if they are big enough after sticking in a small immersion heater perhaps. Depth not important. How much? Note for all those who enjoy bunging up threads with alternative methods of cleaning, we've heard and read them all so forget it. Incidentally, I brew wine and am a wine and beer club committee member so will ask around too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back