Beepods

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trev

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi guys, well I got the job at Lifetime Wood Treatment and got an email from this guy in Milwaukee.

I thought you might be interested in his product.http://www.beepods.com

Hmm seen that rough design before although I guess you could say the same about almost every hive.

th_ktbh-v1.png
See http://topbarbees.wordpress.com/about/design/

Also for that amount of money I would expect an insulated solid wooden roof and far more info about the hive, a picture showing the observation window cover and if you get any top bars and the type of wood used. However I was very impressed with what looks like one of those high pressure cutting machines and the over all finished quality.

Last edited:
Norm has a very good article on how to knock one up from reclaimed wood "for a dollar" :rofl:

The website says "Beekeeping for the bees is our philosophy".

Its nothing to do with all the $269 they are charging then.

Link has been removed,if anyone is interested in making a TBH then post on the forum or contact member "Norm" or follow the link from "Mike a" in above post.

For loads of views from likeminded folk type in "top bar hive forum" into Google and it will direct you to Phil Chandlers website.

Hi Administrator...
I'm the guy who's Beepods.com are being discussed here... and yes.. it is about the bees... but gee, here in America, stuff like machinery, supplies and lumber cost money.

We thought of just giving them away, but we figured it might be better to try to earn a living so we wouldn't burden our society. Hows it work with you? Do you work for free?

"Its nothing to do with all the $269 they are charging then."

But seriously, you take a look at the Beepods and tell me what they seem worth to you... Precut, finished, drilled and fabricated. They assemble in minutes with a 7mm allen tool and phillips screwdriver. All hardware, clasps, magnets and plastic panels are included... so is the allen wrench. Beepods are as strong as bees... able to carry 50x their weight because of the tight mechanical fittings... can you dance ontop your hive?

Thanks Mike

"Also for that amount of money I would expect an insulated solid wooden roof and far more info about the hive"

We started with a wooden cover, but wood rots... shingles are labor-intensive to build, and metal is not cost-effective... This plastic is a perfect solution for it is easy to use, weather impervious, and lightweight.

As for the info... very true... the site is only a few weeks new... and we've yet to implement the details, advocacy and educational knowledgebase components. But please, keep a look back mid may and let me know what you think.

We've got a huge interest in urban beeking happening here in the US... don't know bout you in the UK, but here, its important to properly address the newbee beekers in ways formerly never necessary in traditional vertical hive apiaries.

thanks again for the interest!

BTW of all the TBH keepers here, anyone have a successful top ventilation solution to moderate moisture in the hive? Most TBH designs use bars with no gap between them and therefore seal the air in the hive... anyne doing anything different?

no one is knocking you for trying to make a living.

the reason the link was removed is down to the advertising rules of the forum, dont take it personally its the same rules for all.

Last edited:
Taff,does another member advertise on the forum ?
Send me a pm or post here who it is.
Mark.

Taff,does another member advertise on the forum ?
Send me a pm or post here who it is.
Mark.

I seemed to have lost the word 'personally' from that sentence:confused:

that is what I was trying to say, no-one advertises on this forum, its the same rules for all :)

Thanks Taff,my spam meter was about to go off,thought I had missed one then.
Charbee,the rules of the forum state you cannot advertise your own products,same rules as the Beemaster forum.

Its because we are funded by members not advertisers.

gotcha... apologies.

But just for the sake of argument, so if someone asked where could you get a hive, or who knows of a good TBH... I could not answer? How does that foster open dialog and enlightenment? I'm just a beeker who was foolish enough to go out on a limb and make something to address a need... I just don't get the "don't ask don't tell" thing... thought that was just an American concept ;-)

Or the Bee Auction link at the bottom of the page :)

gotcha... apologies.

But just for the sake of argument, so if someone asked where could you get a hive, or who knows of a good TBH... I could not answer? How does that foster open dialog and enlightenment? I'm just a beeker who was foolish enough to go out on a limb and make something to address a need... I just don't get the "don't ask don't tell" thing... thought that was just an American concept ;-)

its a valid question.

there's a few people on here that make excellent quality hives, these people are on occasion recommended by other posters but do not advertise themselves.

cool... don't want to breathe on anyone's comb and get the guard bees riled up... I'll just go about tending my queen... and interact as a good worker :)

cool... don't want to breathe on anyone's comb and get the guard bees riled up... I'll just go about tending my queen... and interact as a good worker :)

So i take it your not a drone then....lol.

Hey CharBee
I have not visited your site but your question regarding air ventilation is very simple , have an open mesh floor with tray attachment below.

Good luck with your venture.

Well not exactly so simple... the floor is open and screened... just like my langstroths... Bees been keepin warm in -20F for 800 million years... trouble with top bars is to seal the top, you trap the moisture... heat rises, respiration causes condensation, open floor is not as effective unless it has airflow paths on top. So again, whos got successful experience over-wintering hives using ventilation on top (and bottom) and how have you done it?

Hey thanks for the article taff... but it doesn't seem to be addressing the wintertime clustering in TBH designs where bees do not fan themselves, they are too bunched up... they shiver... that means they do not create circulation, they do however create considerable moisture.

Take the hollow tree for example, the brood moves vertically up the hive like a langstroth... in a TBH there is no where to go... Has anyone experimented with creating holes-passageways- within the comb after the nectar flow is over so the bees don't have reason to repair the comb... would they not move laterally to feed?

Latest posts

Back