Beeks not in Associations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have claimed on BDI .
Would you be willing to share with us your impressions of it as a few older members of my local association were of the opinion it was so limited in it's scope as to not really be worth having?

Did the amount of whatever pay out you got cover you for replacement of the equipment that was (presumably) destroyed on the orders of the Bee Inspector.

Would you be willing to share with us your impressions of it as a few older members of my local association were of the opinion it was so limited in it's scope as to not really be worth having?

Did the amount of whatever pay out you got cover you for replacement of the equipment that was (presumably) destroyed on the orders of the Bee Inspector.

If I recall I did the sums one year and like all policy's it doesn't cover the entire amount and I think it doesn't cover bee's. People may not wish to say if they've claimed because people can and do, jump to conclusions and think you've had notifiable disease. Never claimed tho so can't really say on the precise details.

It was decided nah can't be bothered as in the end we are only using it for general chit chat with no real personnel details to worry about.

The main concern isn't just unknown parties getting to read your benign chitchat.

You may not care about the metadata WhatsApp collects about you. Until it shares it with third parties who target you and then, too late. This doesn't just mean a barrage of junk mail.

A separate, and probably worse, threat is from receiving pictures with embedded viruses. Pictures on WhatsApp are downloaded to your phone automatically unless you manually turn off this feature. Many people leave the default because they either don't know how to turn it off or they quite like having pictures from mates, family, etc. saved automatically.

Hackers exploit this to send you WhatsApp images with embedded virus files. These download as soon as you view them, the virus is activated and the hacker has immediate access to your phone.

Once they have access to your friends and families' contact details, they have open invitation for any depths of malicious behaviour to extort money (or just to embarrass you).

These are only a couple of the security risks inherent in WhatsApp which other programs, e.g Signal, don't have. There are many more.

It doesn't mean you shouldn't use it if you want to, but at least go into it with open eyes.

Last edited:

BDI covers frames, foundation and CrownBoards/Q excluders etc.. eg Hardware.
No recompense for bees.

So on 6 hives destroyed for AFB, I received c £120...(edit : some were TBH with £1 cost per frame)

Now it costs approx £25 a year.. so the sums for most beekeepers are not really appealing.

Our Association had a vote on whether to continue with it. Passed to continue.. just.

BDI covers frames, foundation and CrownBoards/Q excluders etc.. eg Hardware.
No recompense for bees.

So on 6 hives destroyed for AFB, I received c £120...(edit : some were TBH with £1 cost per frame)

Now it costs approx £25 a year.. so the sums for most beekeepers are not really appealing.

Our Association had a vote on whether to continue with it. Passed to continue.. just.
Most beekeepers will ( fortunately) never see AFB in a lifetime .

However the preference for whole apiary shook swarm on NBU advice for EFB has been taken on board by the BDI and they will cover ALL the colonies... according to our RBI?

I wonder how long that will be retained when some apiaries up country seem to have 20 plus colonies per apiary?

We can not now get cover for bee disease as deemed to be in a "high risk area" on any similar basis, and at a £500 excess on theft or "consequential" losses would be expensive even if we could!!

Most beekeepers will ( fortunately) never see AFB in a lifetime .

However the preference for whole apiary shook swarm on NBU advice for EFB has been taken on board by the BDI and they will cover ALL the colonies... according to our RBI?

I wonder how long that will be retained when some apiaries up country seem to have 20 plus colonies per apiary?

We can not now get cover for bee disease as deemed to be in a "high risk area" on any similar basis, and at a £500 excess on theft or "consequential" losses would be expensive even if we could!!
The BDI website says that they will cover apiaries shared by up to three beekeepers so that could be the same, or more, than one beekeeper's large apiary.

The scheme, postponed from last year, is for a trial period they say. I think two years. No doubt cost effectiveness will determine whether they continue it.

The main concern isn't just unknown parties getting to read your benign chitchat.

This really can’t happen - no one can read chitchat except the intended recipient, it’s _mathematically_ impossible. Quantum computing might change that- but the compromised security on your bank account will concern you more at that point.

You may not care about the metadata WhatsApp collects about you. Until it shares it with third parties who target you and then, too late. This doesn't just mean a barrage of junk mail.

I care but having a realistic view of the issue is the only way to make a nuanced response. For example if no one has convinced you WhatsApp really (really) can’t read your chitchat then you are responding, and maybe encouraging others to respond, based on fake facts.

A separate, and probably worse, threat is from receiving pictures with embedded viruses. Pictures on WhatsApp are downloaded to your phone automatically unless you manually turn off this feature. Many people leave the default because they either don't know how to turn it off or they quite like having pictures from mates, family, etc. saved automatically.

These are only a couple of the security risks inherent in WhatsApp which other programs, e.g Signal, don't have. There are many more.

This is like blaming Royal Mail for the letter bomb. But genuine question - how does signal not have this threat?

Last edited:
You didn't see the FBI director on CNN talking about WhatsApp?
why would I spend my time watching CNN?
Anything the FBI says has to be taken with a pinch of salt anyway, a breeding ground for xenophobia and paranoia.

This is like blaming Royal Mail for the letter bomb. But genuine question - how does signal not have this threat?
I agree the analogy is similar in some ways. If you innocently open the letter, you set off the bomb.
But with the embedded virus in WhatsApp, the file is downloaded without people realising they've done anything.
So the moral is, open your messages but don't let them automatically download. The majority of WhatsApp users don't disable this function. And Signal doesn't have it.

Re people reading your messages, I didn't say they could. But when you back up your messages to the cloud (with WhatsApp's auto back-up) they are no longer encrypted.

I care but having a realistic view of the issue is the only way to make a nuanced response. For example if no one has convinced you WhatsApp really (really) can’t read your chitchat then you are responding, and maybe encouraging others to respond, based on fake facts.
It's not a question of third parties reading your idle chitchat. It's the collecting/sharing of your metadata.

Hackers exploit this to send you WhatsApp images with embedded virus files. These download as soon as you view them, the virus is activated and the hacker has immediate access to your phone.

Once they have access to your friends and families' contact details, they have open invitation for any depths of malicious behaviour to extort money (or just to embarrass you).

It doesn't mean you shouldn't use it if you want to, but at least go into it with open eyes.
I agree with all of the above, which is why I chose to set up a mailing list. Mailing list server software is open source, so completely transparent for anyone who wants to examine the code.
In addition, my list is private not public and subscribers only have to give an email address to subscribe. If you worry about using your main email address in this sort of situation, you can get a free (gmail, for example) address which can be thrown away if it gets compromised.

I'm trying not to be bl==dy minded about this but I still do not see how this organisation benefits beekeeping as a whole - or offers the individual even one advantage
Public liability insurance. Are you insured?

The problem with this theory is that there aren't enough SBI to do the job and the situation will be doing well to be maintained in the post C-19 world of huge debt let alone increase of staff numbers to meet demand.

I have only seen one SBI in 8 years and he destroyed the sealed Q cells in the hive that had swarmed, it never recovered. The next SBI will be under close supervision I can assure you. And yes I'm on beebase.
Sorry to hear your experience i have a great relationship with my SBI, see him three times a year, very careful and really good. They should not have destroyed QC, very poor.

Referring to that very recent amendment regarding the reporting of varroa in the Scottish legislation, I think it is likely that registration will soon become compulsory. It looks likely that a Beebase account would be the required method for keeping the database updated.
Hope so

I don't have access to the members addresses, so I am not in a position to advertise a WhatsApp group or my mailing list. The committee has the final say, and I'm still waiting for them to consider the ML idea. :-(
They decided they couldn't endorse my Mailing List, because it would breach GDPR! I couldn't understand this argument, as people would subscribe themselves to the list and the only personal data I would hold would be the email address they used to subscribe.
Anyway, I've moved to a neighbouring BKA who have an active WhatsApp group. Not my preferred choice for reasons given elsewhere in this thread, but at least there is easy communication between members.

Back