Beekeeping while pregnant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beezy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi,
I'm pregnant and was just wondering if anyone here has had any adverse reactions to bee stings while pregnant? As it's getting near to the first inspection, just was wondering if I should take extra precautions (like let my husband do all the work ;) ).
I was really lucky last year and didn't get a single sting, but unlikely that will happen again this year...

Your carrying the miracle of life inside you, don't take any chances and let your hubby take care of them.

My OH attempted beekeeping whilst pregnant and quickly decided that sweltering in a beesuit whilst pregnant was a completely rubbish idea!

I think it would be a good plan to arrange for somebody else to take complete responsibility for your beekeeping operation ASAP - that way you only need to help out if you actually feel up to it.

I don't know whether there's any specific medical advice against beekeeping whilst pregnant (like the advice to avoid cats and sheep), but remember that if you're pregnant you probably won't be allowed a lot of the remedies that you take for granted - antihistamines and painkillers stronger than paracetemol, for example.

Good new market for BB and Sheriff - the expanding waist pregnancy suit. Actually might order one myself.

Get the hubby to work, and stand by helpfully with a clipboard at a safe distance

My opinion.
I'm sure you'll be fine. Do what feels comfortable and what you enjoy - you're not ill! (Get your husband to do the washing up, ironing, cleaning, cooking, making the beds instead). :)

I am not normally one to err on the side of caution with things like this, and in the (likely) absence of any good and credible information on the matter, I would be inclined to lay off beekeeping for the term of your pregnancy.

One sting may be pretty inconsequential, but the idea of picking up 2 or 3 or more stings while pregnant is a little disconcerting.

Last edited:
Lifting those heavy supers might be a problem.

Given as you say you have not been stung so you cannot judge what your new reaction is like compared to last year, I really think staying away in the mean time is wise.

Your baby is far more important in the overall scheme of things.

PH

My wife is pregnant and there is no way she is going any where near the hives for the next few months. She might get stung any way but as said before its a miracle so why take the risk. Piriton is a pregnancy safe antihistamine.

My wife is pregnant and there is no way she is going any where near the hives for the next few months. She might get stung any way but as said before its a miracle so why take the risk. Piriton is a pregnancy safe antihistamine.

There is no reason not to do inspections on your hive as long as the weather is good and not too hot and the bees are under the same management as last year - not an aggressive hive. Driving's probably much riskier so let's keep things in proportion.

Through foot and mouth in 2001 I lambed all our sheep alone during first trimester - proper face mask, gloves and boots, and the bit about cats is tosh - young female cats are infectious with toxo for one very short period of their lives. So wear sensible protection and carry on if you feel comfortable to.

So do what feels right and mid-pregnancy is a great time of energy and well-being for the majority. Listen to your body and enjoy :). Much better to pass on the ironing and cleaning.

Am now 36 weeks pregnant and have found the biggest risk appears to be to my suit which is straining at the seams (I would insert a rapidly expanding emoticon here if there was one).

There's no evidence that I can find that says that stings would cause any more issue than usual so I've continued as usual although most of my pregnancy has coincided with winter so less bee contact anyway.

Guess it's like everything else in pregnancy...everyone will have an opinion but you just have to do what you're comfortable with.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I do swell up a fair bit from bee stings anyway (as found from the previous year) so I'll just act in an advisory capacity then and let my husband do the inspections :)
Congratulations honeylover!

Latest posts

Back