Beekeeping suits

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuBee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi folks, looking for advice on beesuits. Just starting off on project'bee' and as yet do not have a beesuit. The chap who hived our swarm for us was wearing Sherrif, full overall. Looked really good and I thought the continuation of fabric up the back of the head was essential especially as hundreds of bees gathered on the back of his head for a while! However, not the cheapest suit around.
Is the fabric in beesuits particularly protective or is it just like any thick fabric?
I've seen a suit called a Deputy. Is this as good as a Sheriff?
:banghead:

I bought mine from here:

http://www.thebeeshop.co.uk/

Very good so far and alot cheaper. Has been washed afew times and comes out fine. Colours are not great but who cares.

Have put an extra bit of velcro around the zip but probably does not need it.

I'd stick with Sherriff, you'll probably end up buying one eventually after wasting change on the others.

I have used Sherrifs in the past and the one I am using now is just as good so why pay more?

PH

If you buy cheap, it wil not last. I bought a sherriff and you can tell the difference, it's well made, will go the distance and in the long run it's value for money.

BB wear suits are considerably cheaper than Sherriff, and to my eye are of equal quality.

Beeshop suits are considerably cheaper still, but it does show in the quality.

My own suit is BB, my standby spare is beeshop.

You gets what you pay for - name and quality

http://tinyurl.com/6ebgeyb

Good feel, good price, many comment and ask for supplier.

We're not in a war zone!

If you are, see Hivemaker and requeen!

Solid fabric at back of head would be too hot, hot, hot!

Last edited:
my suit is from BB wear and worth every penny, as they say you get what you pay for!

You might not be BBG but some are in pretty hot situations.

At the moment my bees are I am very pleased to say very quiet, probably the quietest I have ever had the pleasure of owning.

However in the past I have had some very interesting situations and needed bomb proof clothing. Until you have been in the war zone the need for that kind of kit will always be a matter of some mild curiosity only.

When your suit is covered in several thousand furious bees wholly intent on killing you then you tend to give it some serious thought.

I sincerely hope none of you reading this ever find yourselves in that position.

PH

You don't need a full suit at all, buy a veil and add the suit later as money permits, just wear long pants and long shirt, tuck your pants into your shoes.

You might not be BBG but some are in pretty hot situations.

At the moment my bees are I am very pleased to say very quiet, probably the quietest I have ever had the pleasure of owning.

However in the past I have had some very interesting situations and needed bomb proof clothing. Until you have been in the war zone the need for that kind of kit will always be a matter of some mild curiosity only.

When your suit is covered in several thousand furious bees wholly intent on killing you then you tend to give it some serious thought.

I sincerely hope none of you reading this ever find yourselves in that position.

PH

Yes, been there, unpleasant and a bloodbath for the bees who left a dense covering from countless stings on my veil in their attempts to get at me.

Ditto on my thick leather gloves that were allowing stings to get to my hands in places.

MB (Swienty) suits are fine, wash well.

Would say better to wear layers underneath than rely on one thickness.

No. I did though buy candle moulds from them and they are excellent.

I was actually checking tonight for some Langstroth kit but they seem to be out of stock. I will mail them on Sunday. Their response time is excellent.

PH

Thanks for all your help everyone - we're looking into it as we speak. And as new-bees (couldn't resist!) are suits generally sting proof? We have heard that they can sting through our gloves?

Thanks for all your help everyone - we're looking into it as we speak. And as new-bees (couldn't resist!) are suits generally sting proof? We have heard that they can sting through our gloves?

You will get the odd sting through any suit or gloves. If your bees are particularly feisty you'll need to wear long sleeves and jeans under your suit.

I recently bough a bb wear. Perfect. No regrets. The only problem is I find it hard to spot eggs through a veil but that would be a problem with any suit

Bees can sting through most suits and gloves, if they have a mind to.

You will get stung at some point - better early rather than late, so that you know how much you react. How would you feel if you spend out £100's and then find you are seriously allergic?

Only in my second year and I now barely get any reaction at all.

You will get used to it.

Latest posts

Back