Beekeeping schools

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simoncav

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
The BBKA trustees are keen to encourage and support those schools interested in keeping Honey bees within their grounds. As part of this we would love to hear from anyone either currently supporting a local school in this way.

At this stage we simply want to put together a list of schools and colleges across the country that already have Honeybees on their premises. We know of some, but are sure there are others we are simply not aware of.

The idea is to later use this list to promote best practice with other schools in the same area who are contemplating also having bees on their premises. Please either contact me simon dot cavill at ------------- or let our office staff know.

When you say country are you meaning England or the UK?

PH

Bolton School, Bolton in Greater Manchester have a Beekeeping Club... Google them for more details or contacts

Hi Simon.

you have my details I contacted you last year, we had a small bit of emailing about schools in my area and you gave me some details.

One of the best things that the BBKA could do to help schools is give them free membership, and the exam fee for free. AS you know there is a big hit in funding for schools over the next 2 years that we know about, My school alone has a funding shortfall this year of £500k and 2018/19 of £700k. this is a loss of 2 full departments and 1 site gone with the loss of 30 jobs plus a cut in hours in all ta's from 37hrs to 32hrs.

My wifes school is losing £600k this year and that is 5 teachers and 8 ta's and all staff having to take a pay cut or cut in hours.

In total all secondary schools are having an average cut of 300K this year, it will mean bigger class sizes and less subjects available to be taught.

Sorry rant over.

Latest posts

Back