Beekeeping partners.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Do you share your love of beekeeping with a partner or friend ?

My wife has a bee suite and will give me a helping hand if pushed,she does not seem to share the same thoughts as me though regards beekeeping.

I have a daughter who helps out when she can,she seems to enjoy it more than my wife and often reminds me of something I have missed.

Last year she helped so much that I gave her a wbc hive with a colony to look after.

My partner hates bees. The children dont seen interested either.

I need male beekeeper. Please no response from Mike he seems to have eyes for heather and I will not be accused of splitting any one up.

W

Yes with my wife and two of our sons,the other three sons don't have much interest,but help when needed.

LOL Wendy.

Mike is happily married and not to Heather. :)

I am a lone beekeeper as my beloved partner Julie is sadly very allergic and suffers from a level of itching I thought only existed in horror stories.

PH

Sorry to disappoint anyone, Wendy - just celebrated my Ruby Wedding!! No time for any on the side - but him indoors is not too enamoured of my bees- they seem to chase him - prob the whiskey and coke in his hand as he stands and watches me work-
BUT I have a son who has been wiorking abroad - now home-and I read on Facebook that he thinks he may bunk off to live in France and keep bees. SO this summer I know who to grab for help. He has yet to look in a hive!! I will enjoy teaching him:smilielol5:

Me and my OH are both equally interested although so far, because he has a proper bee-suit (white overalls and hat + integral veil), my OH has done the majority of the handling - not that there was that much handling as we left the honey this year.

OTOH, he was the one who forgot something, went back to the hive without hat and veil and got stung 3 times on the back of his head. :rolleyes:

Why is it always the partner who takes the stings ?:(

My wife bless her has stood rigid holding the smoker on a couple of occaisions, but still nice to have the company.
My daughter of 3 years, has been up with me, not during an inspection i might add, but she is always having a good look, and talks a lot about Bees, "Daddys Bees".

98% of the time i work them alone.

My OH would like to get involved but she has a phobia of regular recuring patterns! So basically she can not look at a frame of cells!

My wife (post my heart attack), deigned to assist me on the understanding that she would only be there to tow that barge/lift that bale as the song goes.
Definately taking no part in decision making or responsibility !!.
Lasted about 2 visits, now I have the feeling that I'm assisting her :nature-smiley-011:

John

My wife (post my heart attack), deigned to assist me on the understanding that she would only be there to tow that barge/lift that bale as the song goes.
Definately taking no part in decision making or responsibility !!.
Lasted about 2 visits, now I have the feeling that I'm assisting her :nature-smiley-011:

John

oops!

I would not stand for that,I would put my foot down and show her who's boss.

I keep my bees with an old schoolteacher who was responsible for introducing me to beekeeping at the age of 13. 33 years later I am still at it and see him every Sunday morning. He is now 83 years old but loves it as much now as he did then. My wife and kids show now interest at all:(

Only managed to get lovely husband into a beesuit once. He didn't like that they kept trying to sting him, but he was very happy that I was so pleased. None of 5 children interested, but one or two of their friends are. I have two beek buddies who sometimes help me and I help them.

I know of 3 of us on here with 5 children.
There must be a connection between beekeepers and loads of kids.

Hello,
My wife has a very large family - 10 brothers and sisters and God knows how many nieces nephews and cousins etc etc - anyway, as you probably already know, when you are a beekeeper everyone expects you to keep them supplied with free honey. Well, my wife was intent on giving all of her relations free honey- it just wasn't on - there are too many of them!
Drastic situations needs drastic solutions.
So, I decided to take her out with me one day when we were pulling supers - once I got her kitted up, I loaded a 25kg beeblower onto her back and she had to lug it around the apiary, help me clear the supers of bees and load the supers onto the truck. Now she is only 50kgs herself, so it was heavy going. She still remembers the day well, even after 20 years, and very seldom does she give any honey away to anyone. She has never asked again to go with me to the bees.
Best regards
Norton.

I know of 3 of us on here with 5 children.
There must be a connection between beekeepers and loads of kids.

Seven for us. Ages zero to fourteen. It's the honey - an age old fertility treatment you know. For anyone who didn't know: "Honeymoon" was the month following the wedding when the couple drank mead for fertility. This tradition crops up in many cultures in one form or another.

For some reason it's only our girls who show much interest in beekeeping. But all the older ones are real keen on framemaking for cash :)

I'm the eldest of five sons to a beekeeping father.

I get no help from the mrs, but our eldest will help move colonies; his younger brother has never helped (they are 23 and 21).

I've tried getting the wife interested in the non apiary side, jarring and selling honey, making candles and polish, but all to no avail.

Peter
Cambridge Uk

:nature-smiley-013:

My wife isn't too much interested, but my 3 sons fight for their turn to help me as I have only one spare smock & veil. If more than one of them are around, they tend to argue which drives me mad. On one time in the summer the middle one (age 12) was watching me without a veil and got stung on the cheek (for no reason I may add), so went indoors, proud that he could take the pain, to show Mum as a trophy before he scraped the sting out.

Wife does tolerate my new found mistresses, and enjoys talking to visitors who come to the house about them (The bees are in the front garden hence we HAVE to have WBC's there!).

Latest posts

Back