pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Looks like a shallow deep shallow to me. So brood and a half with a super on top.
The local BKA runs them like that. Brood and a half and a shallow of stores on top for winter
Yes looking closer? (its a blurred and my glasses are overdue for replacement) ... you may be right...not much benefit as far as I can see ....unless yiu are very short if kit and there isn't another option....

Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 20
Yes looking closer? (its a blurred and my glasses are overdue for replacement) ... you may be right...not much benefit as far as I can see ....unless yiu are very short if kit and there isn't another option....
How can
Again that's your opinion Philip imo colonys do well in this configuration good and bad points to alot of manipulations and hive configurations..
So let's agree to disagree hey!

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
How can

Again that's your opinion Philip imo colonys do well in this configuration good and bad points to alot of manipulations and hive configurations..
So let's agree to disagree hey!
I'm not disagreeing Mark.... I just can't see a logical explanation as to why you would run them like this ... If they need space then double brood I understand ...but brood and a half with the half underneath and a super on top ... just can't see it. Perhaps you can explain ?

Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 20
I'm not disagreeing Mark.... I just can't see a logical explanation as to why you would run them like this ... If they need space then double brood I understand ...but brood and a half with the half underneath and a super on top ... just can't see it. Perhaps you can explain ?
Have i not explained before?
Quite frankly I can't be bothered either you have it in your mind that it's not logical.. I will stick to my average honey crops ( not the bbka averages either) and wintering these colonys with out feeding..
Infact working out the time spent inspecting and cost overall the super, deep, super configuration wins hands down.

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Have i not explained before?
Quite frankly I can't be bothered either you have it in your mind that it's not logical.. I will stick to my average honey crops ( not the bbka averages either) and wintering these colonys with out feeding..
Infact working out the time spent inspecting and cost overall the super, deep, super configuration wins hands down.
No you haven't explained the thinking behind it ... I'm just interested in where you see the advnantage against a conventional arrangement ...

So you haven't fed these colonies ... but you have been adding fondant to other hives even as late as last week ?

Did you maintain the arrangement througout the season last year and then get an exceptional honey crop ?

If you can demnstrate why you think this system works so well perhaps we can all learn something from your experience ...

Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 20
When I have time I plan to use my notes from the last few years and write a step by step plan there's a lot of information and perhaps I will need help portraying it on to paper if that be the write word.

Philip now things have changed I would love you to come up here for the day seeing what one does and I would like to show you the apiarys.

You have given me some cracking advice since I've been on here and I think you would understand more if I showed you.
What are your thoughts my friend?

Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 20
Today I'm putting out 8 supers of drawn comb for honey;)..... Already been out to move a colony to bleed the flyers of for queen removal.
1 x Demarree
Nuc transfer x2
I have my little lad helping me, we have 6 apiarys to go around.
#happybeeking
#happybeequeening

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
When I have time I plan to use my notes from the last few years and write a step by step plan there's a lot of information and perhaps I will need help portraying it on to paper if that be the write word.

Philip now things have changed I would love you to come up here for the day seeing what one does and I would like to show you the apiarys.

You have given me some cracking advice since I've been on here and I think you would understand more if I showed you.
What are your thoughts my friend?
We can do that .... it's a bit of a stretch for me but we can see how things can out over the summer...perhaps extend the invite to other forum members? I'll bring my divining rods to help you find the best spot...

Little_bees 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Just thinking, those entrance spinners come in a few different colours. Might be worth alternating them to cut down on drifting (or Queens returning to the neighbouring colony 😳)

Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 20
Just thinking, those entrance spinners come in a few different colours. Might be worth alternating them to cut down on drifting (or Queens returning to the neighbouring colony 😳)
Hi little bee, they are being hived up on Friday and will have there own pallet.
The big colony are being split and the newer hives are nucs already hived up. The older single brood is a colony I'm working to double brood or a demaree.

Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 20
Snowing here!! and the summit is white over, this early spring is an interesting one, sat watching the girls trying to fly to the osr a stones throw away in windy showery weather temps 10c on Wednesday 28th.

The Poot 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives

Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 20
They look nice dark little babies🐝😀
I’m really pleased you’re putting your beekeeping passion into/as your business - a proper gutsy decision. Respect!
I really hope you have a good year - despite this poor start, weather wise and I’ll be eager to read your updates👍
They are nice stock Mr Poot and working well even in this up and down spring weather..
I'll grab a few more photos as they grow.
They were given extra comb and honey frames when transferred to help them on there way.
My own (stock) nucs that I transferred 3 weeks ago are on 10 frames out side frame to be drawn or starting to be.
Production seems to be miles away as does rearing up here any way down in the valley the dandelion flow was reasonably on sat, I'll see them on Friday, then more higher up apiarys if the weather allows if not there's always equipment to build or honey jarring processing.
And now children good evening.

Antipodes 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
They look nice dark little babies🐝😀
I’m really pleased you’re putting your beekeeping passion into/as your business - a proper gutsy decision. Respect!
I really hope you have a good year - despite this poor start, weather wise and I’ll be eager to read your updates👍
I second that....(y)

Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 20
Trade honey sales were down in April, but may has started better!.
I need to phone round the shops more because one had sold out 2 weeks ago and the other only have 2 jars left :eek: I thought they would be chasing me for the liquid gold!

Prices are staying @ £6 per 340g hex trade price.