Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 20
That's great artwork Mark. I bet they made you smile every time you used them!
I'll have to enlist my granddaughter when she can come and stay again after lockdown.😃
Did they stand up to the weather (varnished?)
They were OK to start with we didn't varnish them, But now they don't look so good.
Maybe another project on the cards I'm sure there will be more hives to paint in the future.
Painted hives in use last mayIMG_20200411_091601.jpg
We will seal the artwork better next time.

Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 20
This photo is from March 2020 and also today me and the lad are putting fondant on a few colonys only small amounts now 1.5 kgs each. Screenshot_20210312_082644_com.facebook.katana.jpg
Have a look at my bodge atempt to save my vail I always carry a roll of gaffa tape.

Last edited:

Amari 

Drone Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Apologies for my spelling mistakes as always. :)
Don't worry Mark! I really enjoy reading your spellings and that of others, I believe it enriches the forum. Spelling is not stationary but evolves as we can see reading old documents etc. Shocking item in the national news this week about six-year-olds being taught how to use 'frontal adverbs', 'onomatopoeias', 'subsidiary clauses' 'analogies' etc.

Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 20
Don't worry Mark! I really enjoy reading your spellings and that of others, I believe it enriches the forum. Spelling is not stationary but evolves as we can see reading old documents etc. Shocking item in the national news this week about six-year-olds being taught how to use 'frontal adverbs', 'onomatopoeias', 'subsidiary clauses' 'analogies' etc.
Amari my friend what the hell does that all mean?
I don't watch the news much or read papers who wants to do that!! Life is to short BUT I do watch country file every week oo and gardener world and eastenders, the circle, googlebox, pop, horrible historys, mind craft videos, these streaming idiots playing mind craft kids................ And SWMBO.

Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 20
Snowing here at the highest apiarys we haven't inspected yet but down in the valley colonys are a different matter.
Photo 1 inspection board from a single brood.
Photo 2 apairy 2.
I have started a new venture working for clients looking after there hives something I almost did previously last year.
Hopefully the weather changes soon for the girls more than anything.

Attachments

The Poot 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
It looks a very nice site, Curly.
Mike Bush uses multiple boxes, smaller than standard to help with lifting. What’s your thinking with these?
Whilst the boxes are lighter, there must be more lifting of them to properly inspect and inspections would be lengthy unless you resort to tilting and looking along the bottoms of the frames.
Quince Honey Farm use cut down supers - really shallow, to ease the strain when harvesting them.

gmonag 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
6 Rose Hives
It is just a management method that uses one size of box throughout (as you have in those hives). No distinction between brood boxes and supers, no QE.

Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 20
It looks a very nice site, Curly.
Mike Bush uses multiple boxes, smaller than standard to help with lifting. What’s your thinking with these?
Whilst the boxes are lighter
It is just a management method that uses one size of box throughout (as you have in those hives). No distinction between brood boxes and supers, no QE.

There would be some similaritys then.
I run our three box hive with no qx and I don't feed them either.
Manipulations consist of box reversals and some frame manipulations.

pargyle 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Moving some of our unconventional 3 box hives to a lovely new site, first one moved this morning and they are bringing in pollen already.
Doesn't look too unconventional to me ... double national brood and a super from the looks of it ?

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Doesn't look too unconventional to me ... double national brood and a super from the looks of it ?
Looks like a shallow deep shallow to me. So brood and a half with a super on top.
The local BKA runs them like that. Brood and a half and a shallow of stores on top for winter

Latest posts