Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Newbeeneil 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
40 plus 19 that I maintain for clients.
I'm partial to a warm tractor. Any chance of a Little Grey Fergie?
One of my landlords has one of those! It's immaculate as he's shows it!

Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
we have a TEF20 Diesel it lives in the shed, it only likes been a tractor when it's warm, if its not warm it goes on strike and refuses to do anything, come to think of it i think it has the right idea
I would like one of these.
We have 35s and 135s but not a grey and gold. Grey and gold .
Do you have a crank on your diesel?

frankenstine 

New Bee
Reaction score
I would like one of these.
We have 35s and 135s but not a grey and gold. Grey and gold .
Do you have a crank on your diesel?
electric start, i'll have to check about the cranck, im sure it has the hole in the frout and the dog on the frount pully for the crank handel but don't have the crank handel for it, i think it would be a very good workout starting it with a handel tho

Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
electric start, i'll have to check about the cranck, im sure it has the hole in the frout and the dog on the frount pully for the crank handel but don't have the crank handel for it, i think it would be a very good workout starting it with a handel tho
We were messing about with one of ours last autumn changing the oil gauge and changing all oils the electric starter didn't seem to work?
Cranking it was the only way to get it going it runs OK but we had sparks galore coming out of the exhaust pipe. this petrol/paraffin Fergie was bought in 2010 it had a scoop attachment a plough and 3 spare original tyres it cost us £500 and was a none runner but I messed about with a few things perchased some new parts, and now it runs but not perfectly any suggestions?

Murox 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
We were messing about with one of ours last autumn changing the oil gauge and changing all oils the electric starter didn't seem to work?
Cranking it was the only way to get it going it runs OK but we had sparks galore coming out of the exhaust pipe. this petrol/paraffin Fergie was bought in 2010 it had a scoop attachment a plough and 3 spare original tyres it cost us £500 and was a none runner but I messed about with a few things perchased some new parts, and now it runs but not perfectly any suggestions?
As its petrol it could be you are running it too hard – when I drove one 'way back when' if I thrashed it for lengthy periods it would shower sparks – but its usually carbon – engine gets hot enough to ignite carbon bits. Flames would be unburnt fuel. As its been unused for a bit lets hope its just old bits of carbon getting 'flushed' out and not the air/fuel mixture - not all fuel is being burnt in the cylinders.

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
It's not meant to run constantly on petrol, (hence the smaller petrol tank compared to the TVO) it was meant to only run on petrol until the engine warmed up, then you would switch over to the TVO line.
Many years since I drove one though - my father had a loan of my Uncle Dai's old David Brown Cropmaster when we needed a tractor on the smallholding (the only thing that could comfortably negotiate the deep lane down to the farm). In fact, my cousin has just finished totally refurbishing it (been on the farm since it was bought new in 1949) and sits proudly in it's own garage next to his own first tractor, a SAME

Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
As you say jbm you should turn it over to run on paraffin.

The sparks we put down to none use and excess carbon we will get it out one of these next days and get it going again she needs a paint job anyway.
Cheers both.

Gilberdyke John 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
It's not meant to run constantly on petrol, (hence the smaller petrol tank compared to the TVO) it was meant to only run on petrol until the engine warmed up, then you would switch over to the TVO line.
Many years since I drove one though - my father had a loan of my Uncle Dai's old David Brown Cropmaster when we needed a tractor on the smallholding (the only thing that could comfortably negotiate the deep lane down to the farm). In fact, my cousin has just finished totally refurbishing it (been on the farm since it was bought new in 1949) and sits proudly in it's own garage next to his own first tractor, a SAME
Reminds me of a petter paraffin two stroke stationary engine we had driving a water pump for our long greenhouse (170 ft if you're curious). It had a contoured top cast iron piston. There was a chamber which held about 1/4 of a pint of petrol which was poured in to start up. A couple of damn great fly wheels and a BTH magneto to provide the sparks. After cranking and the beast starting the level of petrol ran down and was replenished from the paraffin fuel tank in the base. The paraffin was injected onto the piston which had heated up during the startup on petrol so it continued to run.
It also had a governor so during operation the engine would fire several strokes in succession then freewheel using flywheel inertia before giving a great bang and delivering another series of working strokes. The bang used to make the glass in the walls and roof rattle.
A flat belt connected one other the flywheel to a flat pulley on the pump.
As a small child I used to run past it in fear.