rolande 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
dadant
Most of the time it's pointing at the sky
So I doubt it to.
Another early morning hey!
Scaning ewes today and separating them so feed application's can be altered.
Then vits and meds for the ewes.
Mornings always start early for me!

rolande 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
dadant
Simple enough then:).
What type Carnica.. Bucks?
You follow Paul his queen's any good?
Never tried his but I'm pretty sure they're good -can't put that much effort into something without getting results. Me, I've tried queens from a few sources in the past but don't wish to comment on other people's efforts (it might be their life). What I will say which probably won't win me many friends is that, everything else being equal, I don't think a travelled queen is usually quite as good as an in-house one (raise a batch of ten, and post five to yourself then watch...) but that's no excuse not to search out better lines; immediate performance isn't quite so important as what can be achieved in future generations.

Moobee 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Mark
Following your blog with interest, as I've not long moved to the top end of the hills, little village between the Wrekin and the river, blown away by the beauty of the area.
No bees yet, so taking the lockdown, lack of work [covids stopped almost all my work] to read, and watch as many videos as I can. Joining the association as soon as they send me a link to pay them. Going to spend the winter acquiring basic things, though have a suit from wasps I dealt with in the past.
lovely photos too.
All the best
Another Mark
Read loads! Videos not always helpful, especially from our friends across the pond. And keep an open mind on methods. And find a mentor if you can, mine was brilliant and taught me so much in my first season this year.

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Some
Never tried his but I'm pretty sure they're good -can't put that much effort into something without getting results. Me, I've tried queens from a few sources in the past but don't wish to comment on other people's efforts (it might be their life). What I will say which probably won't win me many friends is that, everything else being equal, I don't think a travelled queen is usually quite as good as an in-house one (raise a batch of ten, and post five to yourself then watch...) but that's no excuse not to search out better lines; immediate performance isn't quite so important as what can be achieved in future generations.
Wise words there, I only raised 24 queen's this season, not alot really
But 100% mated and I will be keeping 20 queen's from my home reared queen's which are a mix of Amm And Italian mongrels.
As the generations go buy and my introduction of Amm types from my mentor and bought in queen's/nucs from Wales and Northern Ireland the Italian genetics will slowly fizzle out.
These are my plans albeit on a small scale..

Thanks rolande for your wise words.

RichardBeeW 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Four but wishing to build to six with a number of nucs as support colonies
Inuendo at its best;) maybe
😁 Well, sort of, but used to visit Tregoyd(?) near Three Cocks (and there I go again) with the school in Oxfordshire (Witney) that I attended and almost every day we were there (each time we went) we all scrambled up to the top of the Twmpa (LHKnob). I'm sure Mr JenkinsBrynmair will correct my spelling if required 🤞

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
😁 Well, sort of, but used to visit Tregoyd(?) near Three Cocks (and there I go again) with the school in Oxfordshire (Witney) that I attended and almost every day we were there (each time we went) we all scrambled up to the top of the Twmpa (LHKnob). I'm sure Mr JenkinsBrynmair will correct my spelling if required 🤞
Tregoed? LH knob is probably the twmpath in Welsh, can mean a raised bit of ground or a mound.
In the old days come the summer villagers would build a small mound on the village green so that the village fiddler or musicians could stand above everyone to play music, the people would then dance and make merry to the music of an evening. Hence the modern 'Twmpath dance' basically a barn dance or square dance where traditional dancing is still enjoyed

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Tregoed? LH knob is probably the twmpath in Welsh, can mean a raised bit of ground or a mound.
In the old days come the summer villagers would build a small mound on the village green so that the village fiddler or musicians could stand above everyone to play music, the people would then dance and make merry to the music of an evening. Hence the modern 'Twmpath dance' basically a barn dance or square dance where traditional dancing is still enjoyed
There is a Tregoyd Estate there
And a horse trekking outfit by the same name

RichardBeeW 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Yes you’re right of course 🙂 and I remember now our lovely neighbours in Llandeilo telling us a few years back (we moved to just outside Llandod a year ago) that they used to attend a Twmpath dance regularly in their dancin days. We’d been enjoying a jolly evening with them by then so I had forgotten the conversation until you reminded me. 👍

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Sounds like the usual English mis spelling of tre goed, woodland homestead/farm. happens a lot - especially in the marches. We get the same issues with the Swansea lot who insist on misspelling Penllergaer (high place of the fort) as Penllegare

RichardBeeW 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
You’re spot on Dani, thank you. I’d forgotten the pony trekking! As the smallest boy there 😦 I was given the smallest pony - who was also the oldest and meanest. She kept trying to turn to bite my knees, eventually not the instructor’s mount on the rump and then his foot. He whacked her bum with his riding crop - all while we were out on the hills - I experienced what it was to gallop - suddenly without a stirrup and then no reins - but somehow remained clinging to the saddle. Give me bees any day 😄😄😄 I love horses (when not in the saddle) and my wife for many years made a large part of her income painting them. 0DE60B68-4AE7-4385-B9FB-4DC2179F7B10.jpeg84A87CA6-A73E-480C-B715-104F9839D778.jpegF1D7EF79-57F0-46F6-9B5A-28BF1E321347.jpeg3B03A429-ABE1-4F25-A30B-97FBFA053E4D.jpeg631084EC-A0E2-425B-BA46-E96C53D64827.jpeg

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
You’re spot on Dani, thank you. I’d forgotten the pony trekking! As the smallest boy there 😦 I was given the smallest pony - who was also the oldest and meanest. She kept trying to turn to bite my knees, eventually not the instructor’s mount on the rump and then his foot. He whacked her bum with his riding crop - all while we were out on the hills - I experienced what it was to gallop - suddenly without a stirrup and then no reins - but somehow remained clinging to the saddle. Give me bees any day 😄😄😄 I love horses (when not in the saddle) and my wife for many years made a large part of her income painting them. View attachment 23132View attachment 23133View attachment 23134View attachment 23135View attachment 23136
Llanthony pony trecking this is where I've done pony trecking as a child with friends and when I was courting my now wife of 17 years.
We have spent alot of time at the priory where there is a 12/13th century pub and camp site.
Even last summer we were there camping and eating out at the half moon pub. as a teen me and friends use to go to the half moon for nights out drinking and meeting girl friends.
Other pubs we use to go to Pandy inn and the The crown inn both not to far away from the farm.
Such happy memories of my youth.
@RichardBeeW your wife is a very talented artist, you must be very proud of her.

RichardBeeW 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Llanthony has a very special place in my heart as our farm is nr the cats back Longtown, craswell area.
Ever heard of the half moon pub that is one of our locals.

@hemo why the sad face?
I don't know the area Mark but my youngest son, 31 in a few days used to work in that area, well a bit further east, but even he didn't know of the pub. And there was me thinking he knew them all 🙂 Sounds like an area my wife and I would enjoy seeing when Covid allows - great views and a pub for lunch!

Latest posts