Beekeeping Newbie - HELP...!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heltor Chasca

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I’ve always wanted to have bees so I’ve just started a beginners’ beekeeping course (5 weeks in total and I've just done the 1st night class) and if I am truthful, I’m terrified!

Not scared at all of the bees but at how controlled beekeeping seems to be, the sheer amount of knowledge you need and how much can go wrong. I won’t be able to have my own colony this year as we’re moving house and I’m saving up for all the kit involved. Hopefully I’ll be able to help an advanced keeper out this year to gain some practical experience.

What advice can you experienced beekeepers offer me? Is it hard graft managing a colony? Is it a really scientific past time rather than a traditional “nature based” one? Is it going to cost an arm and a leg to set up?

Help – I’m feeling a little intimidated and worried I won’t make the grade.................hc

Hi Heltor and welcome.

Well done! for getting yourself on a course. If it is properly delivered then you will be well on your way. Now, (my suggestion), read, read, read, read! Hang around here, lots.

Take things slowly. Learn the basics. Don't rush. Never rush into any hasty action. Don't panic.

I will let you into a little secret, the bees have been doing it for millions of years. They'll help you, if you let them. And so will we!

If you have prepared properly, you can look forward to many many hours of fascinating and enjoyable entertainment!

It can be costly - a commercially prepared colony in a full hive can be around £500, with kit. It can be done much cheaper. Work out how you would like to start, a nuc (a prepared starter) or maybe a swarm? There are other ways. The bad news for the pocket is that it is wise to start with at least two colonies (flexibility in management of problems). Cheaper kit can be obtained at the various 'sale' events - look out for them. Be very careful with second-hand equipment (disease risk).

A beekeeping mentor is a good way to go. And there are various gatherings and association meets that you might like to consider too.

Good luck.

Last edited:
No-one is going to tell you its cheap to start off with but at about 3 or 4 years you should be in break even time.

Its not as controlled as it seems but my advice is to allow one day a week for your beekeeping.

Having to release the honey from your extractor cos no more can go in makes it all worthwhile.

A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. Yes, there is lots to know, but you don't need to know it all at once. Do the course, read, come to the forum, read, work with a beekeeper, read. The more you learn, the more fascinating you'll discover bees are (waggle dance? That's just the start of it). The bees set the agenda, the science fits in around them.

Marvel, and enjoy. :)

Nothing like getting your hands dirty, the course is a great start as too is reading a good book Ted Hooper is a bit involved for a newbee but well worth having on your book shelf but there are others I like David Cramp if you ignore the incessant references to international beekeeping practices and equipment it's a good book.

Just relax within a couple of months with your bees you'll feel much more comfortable.

Good luck.

Hi hc. I'm a newbie,now coming into my second year. This forum has been invaluable for advice,encouragement , contacts,in fact I couldn't have done without it. So stick with us,you'll be glad you did!

Good luck -FB

Depending on why you are wanting to become a bee keeper you might want to consider top bar hives, they cost less to start with and can be made at home but they are not for every one,

Hello Helter Casca

Complete the course, join your local bee association and I'm sure there will be someone in the association who would be happy to introduce you to their hives and mentor you. Provided that you like and enjoy it you can take it from there.

The reading stuff may overwhelm you and actually put you off so join an association and they will point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

Hi there and welcome
Chill out- :coolgleamA:
Find your nearest association and go to meetings- especially the summer ones where they demonstrate. You can be as near or as far from the bees as you want.
If there is someone near you who keeps bees- ask them if you can go and watch when they open a hive - 1:1 is much better.
I have often had new people to my hives for a slow gentle lesson (In beekeeping for the rest of you :p- sorry HC ,but I know what they are like!!!)
Dont panic- get a good book in the meantime, and ask questions.
Personally I would advise a national hive for a beginner, but up to you-

Oh, HC - you ought to know too, that if you ask three beekeepers the same question, you will get four answers :)

Oh, HC - you ought to know too, that if you ask three beekeepers the same question, you will get four answers :)

I'd have said at least five...

re first bees - it may be that you are allowed to keep a hive at local association apiary for first year (that's what we do in Epsom).

So once you've done the course, handled the bees a few times and are cofident it is for you then you may be able to get a swarm in late spring/early summer or perhaps a split off of an association hive which you can handle, build up and over winter ready to take home for next year.

"how controlled beekeeping seems to be"
"Is it a really scientific past time rather than a traditional “nature based” one? Is it going to cost an arm and a leg to set up?"

Well....... it all depends on your viewpoint - if you're doing a "conventional" beekeeping course, the techniques usually taught are indeed very "controlling", the assumption being that "we know better" in all respects, which can be somewhat offputting to a newbie (it certainly was to me), and can lead you to suppose that beekeeping is "scientific" rather than natural in it's approach.
It need not be - some of us practice more natural techniques whereby the bees are left far more to decide what's best for them, and it is eminently possible to keep bees on a shoestring - I've got 4 colonies in TBH and Warré hives, and have most of the equipment I'll ever need for a total expenditure of around £150 for the whole lot! :coolgleamA:

...I will let you into a little secret, the bees have been doing it for millions of years. They'll help you, if you let them. And so will we!...

Thanks everyone for some great replies. Yes - A little daunting but it's early days. I'm very much interested in a more natural approach and feel bouyed by your comment a lot Moggs. Thanks.......hc

Last edited:
...Well....... it all depends on your viewpoint - if you're doing a "conventional" beekeeping course, the techniques usually taught are indeed very "controlling", the assumption being that "we know better" in all respects, which can be somewhat offputting to a newbie (it certainly was to me), and can lead you to suppose that beekeeping is "scientific" rather than natural in it's approach.
It need not be - some of us practice more natural techniques whereby the bees are left far more to decide what's best for them, and it is eminently possible to keep bees on a shoestring - I've got 4 colonies in TBH and Warré hives, and have most of the equipment I'll ever need for a total expenditure of around £150 for the whole lot! :coolgleamA:

This approach connects nicely with my personal approach to most things in life! (Nature based) Great set up cost too! That must have taken some hard work on your part - Well done........hc

Oooops - Just so no one get the wrong jist of what I have said: I must just reiterate that the course I am on is run by a very talented lady.

VERY switched on, very engaging and I think I haven't really heard/learnt enough yet. I get the impression she wants to promote sustainability through disease control as her priority.

Not a bad approach at all and although I would like the bees to do the talking, I think I have a role to play in helping look after them. Being responsible and looking at the big picture in relation to sustaining the role of bees in the World may be a small part I could play.........hc

(Yikes - What am I letting myself in for?)

Latest posts

Back