Beekeeping Law

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If a bee keeper is reported to Environmental Health, and they determine that the bees are a nuisance, it would need to be declared as a dispute with a neighbour on the property information form if either party sells their house.

Quite right.

Out apiaries have their own problems too. We are in the process of giving up ours.

But your hive is fairly close to his boundary, so I would certainly do more than just turn it around, if he is sensitive to these things (to be honest, even for a tolerant neighbour, the hive is in a fairly "provocative" location). I would be investing in some proper fencing to screen the hive completely from his view.
Yep....set up a screen now to make sure he can't see the bees nor you when you are working them. If you can, I'd certainly consider positioning them at least to the other side of that shrub which is currently to the left of the hive. You may have said, but is there a reason for it not to be further than 15 feet from his fence?

Yep....set up a screen now to make sure he can't see the bees nor you when you are working them. If you can, I'd certainly consider positioning them at least to the other side of that shrub which is currently to the left of the hive. You may have said, but is there a reason for it not to be further than 15 feet from his fence?

Thanks, 10ft of other side of the shrub is a small shed & general dumping area for plant pots etc which we go to/from regularly.

The area chosen is sheltered (it can be quite windy) and least visited in the garden and furthest away from the kids playing area etc.

We’ll look to put up a screen to discreetly hide the hive

Many years ago I investigated a bee nuisance complaint. In truth it doesn't matter if the bees are 'owned animals' or 'wild creatures' in law. An upset neighbour could easily resort to using powder based insecticide to 'deal with wasps' and either definition precludes any action a beekeeper could take to deal with that situation. Bees may sting but the law always bites you.

If the law supposes that," said Mr. Bumble, squeezing his hat emphatically in both hands, "the law is a ass — a idiot. If that's the eye of the law, the law is a bachelor; and the worst I wish the law is, that his eye may be opened by experience — by experience.”
Charles Dickens

I love having hives in my suburban garden although it has been a bit of a challenge and really quite stressful at times this spring. Fetched a swarm down from one neighbours plum tree. Got a text from the neighbour on the other side a few days later saying ”why are your bees are swarming in my garden”. I must have missed a QC or two when I knocked them back although they did all return to hive so guess it was a failed swarm. Luckily she was less stressed than me about it all. Due to a split and re-hiving the swarm, we are up to 4 hives and a nuc which is too many. Need to reduce back to 3 in the coming weeks once we know what the queen situation is in all of them.

I ask as we live rurally, have a very large garden but also very very unfriendly neighbour (think bored old man who likes nothing better than to complain about everything, noise, children, etc etc) and wondering how our hive (we are setting up) could cause him to complain and what under what pretence.
My neighbours were great but it was too stressful worrying that the screams from their kid were from a bee sting. As much as I miss watching the workers coming and going, the "out apiary" has been a winner for my stress levels - wonderfully peaceful hive checks where I can just relax and enjoy....

I love having hives in my suburban garden although it has been a bit of a challenge and really quite stressful at times this spring. Fetched a swarm down from one neighbours plum tree. Got a text from the neighbour on the other side a few days later saying ”why are your bees are swarming in my garden”. I must have missed a QC or two when I knocked them back although they did all return to hive so guess it was a failed swarm. Luckily she was less stressed than me about it all. Due to a split and re-hiving the swarm, we are up to 4 hives and a nuc which is too many. Need to reduce back to 3 in the coming weeks once we know what the queen situation is in all of them.
Only Knocking back queen cells will not deter swarming. It has to be combined with some form of artificial swarm ( which you might have done - not clear from your wording)

anyone starting with bees in the garden at home should be told to prepare to move them to an out apiary at a moments notice. I know its unpopular with some, but I wouldn't even consider siting hives in most suburban situations. Whilst everyone is entitled to keep bees at home, I think the potential hassle and grief is not worth it.

apologies to the OP if I have missed they, but what training and experience do they have to deal with swarming? As we all know one hive soon becomes 2 and more, even for those who swear to keep the numbers down ;)

Only Knocking back queen cells will not deter swarming. It has to be combined with some form of artificial swarm ( which you might have done - not clear from your wording)
The knocking back was to reduce to one after they initially swarmed. I managed to catch another hive in time and do an A/S.

anyone starting with bees in the garden at home should be told to prepare to move them to an out apiary at a moments notice. I know its unpopular with some, but I wouldn't even consider siting hives in most suburban situations. Whilst everyone is entitled to keep bees at home, I think the potential hassle and grief is not worth it.

apologies to the OP if I have missed they, but what training and experience do they have to deal with swarming? As we all know one hive soon becomes 2 and more, even for those who swear to keep the numbers down ;)
:iagree:
Get some years of experience with bees first and then consider the garden. There will be problems.

Latest posts

Back