Beekeeping in the thirties u~tube videos

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Miriads
Using GOOGLE as your search engine... key in
THIRTIES BEEKEEPING UTUBE and you will be treated to an absolute extravaganza of five videos in glourious monochrome. no sound and interesting clips from when the real beekeeper wore suits to attend their aparies.....
can anyone recognise the area where the bees are taken to the heather?
also the Rowan Atkinson & John Cleese beekeeper skit is always worth another looksee

:conehead:and the funniest of them all the guy gassing his bees with oxalic acid.. a bit of plumbing and a welding torch!!!

:hurray:

Are these the same ones MM posted not long back? If they are the ones I'm thinking about I learned a lot from them.....not technique as such, just seeing how things are/were done as I am a brand new beek :)

Yes they are :D

Last edited:
Are these the same ones MM posted not long back? If they are the ones I'm thinking about I learned a lot from them.....not technique as such, just seeing how things are/were done as I am a brand new beek :)

Yes they are :D

:iagree:

me too

especially the hive with the integral hinged front porch and entrance blocker!

:cheers2:

All beeks well dressed, suit, shirt and tie but very little protection. Were they been macho for the camera or was this the way they worked? Did enjoy the videos . my father kept bees in the thirties and forties ,

Last edited:
The vidios are compliments of Poly Hive,and are also in the vidio section of the forum.

The vidios are compliments of Poly Hive,and are also in the vidio section of the forum.

They look very professionally made by a film studio, possible for a filler movie, much clearer than the ones i posted

if you want to look at the ones i posted google BARNET BEEKKEEPING UTUBE,

The barnet & disitrict thirties films were made by barnet beekeepers who worked in the film studio at Elstree , it had to be edited as it was damaged when found, we know it was used as a preview for a filler movie, so i wonder if they are by the same team
MM

Some one must recognise those heather moors?

Peak district maybe
not Dartmoor or Bodmin moor or even Exemoor
any ideas???

Scotland........they have a few wee moors up there,and bloody peat hags.

:conehead:and the funniest of them all the guy gassing his bees with oxalic acid.. a bit of plumbing and a welding torch!!!

:hurray:

what bit do you mean, dont think oxalic was used until recently as no varroa in 1930's

is it the EH Taylor of welwyn steam heated cutting capping knife and steam warming cabinet in part 4

or is it somewhere else you are referring to

Latest posts

Back