Beekeeping in the Telegraph

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juststarting

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 hives, 1 nuc
Interesting read.

He makes it sound as though he had assembled a wooden Dartington, but earlier describes a tiered hive. If he had any experience with the Dartington, he would not be so over-the-moon with his beehaus. The Dartington, although perhaps not so aethsetically pleasing (to those who adore garish plastic boxes), does, IMO, as good a job, if not considerably better, than the plastic beetainer. Just my experience running both so far.

Regards, RAB

Interesting read. There's a wooden Dartington in the background. Also there's quite a lot more info elswhere on the Telegraph site.

Dave

Dartingtons and Beehauses

Hello. I hope you don't mind my posting on your forum but I noticed the link to my article and thought I might be able to give you some more information.

I have been using a wooden dartington hive for a couple of years now but unfortunately, after a weak summer and a harsh winter, I lost the queen and therefore the colony. Omlet kindly supplied some bees and the hive and I eagerly took the opportunity to try out the new model. The wooden hive had been very good but it's nice to have a change.

I've shared beekeeping duties on a polystyrene national hive in the past, but this is my first time going solo with anything but wood. So far it's been fine, but I'm only a little over a month in.

Hello. I hope you don't mind my posting on your forum but I noticed the link to my article and thought I might be able to give you some more information.

I have been using a wooden dartington hive for a couple of years now but unfortunately, after a weak summer and a harsh winter, I lost the queen and therefore the colony. Omlet kindly supplied some bees and the hive and I eagerly took the opportunity to try out the new model. The wooden hive had been very good but it's nice to have a change.

I've shared beekeeping duties on a polystyrene national hive in the past, but this is my first time going solo with anything but wood. So far it's been fine, but I'm only a little over a month in.

Ian if you have managed to get a freebee out of Omlet then good on you, you'll make loads when you publish details of your succesful technique! I'll be interested to hear your views and progress observations posted on this forum, welcome.

Hello Ian.

Welcome to the forum.

I have 14 x 12 Nationals, a couple of Dartingtons and a beehaus.

Unfortunately when colonised earlier in the year it was the only split that failed to raise a laying queen. It corrected that with a test frame inserted (so I am not so sure of the quality of the queen, but she was laying a good pattern when transferred into a nuc and taken to another site. I was expecting to unite it at the end of the season.

The plastic beer cooler will be overwintering a colony removed from one of my two Dartingtons (as I wanted to move the hive, but you can understand the problems of moving them with bees in). Actually should not be too much problem if access were OK, as the legs swing round and double up as 'stretcher handles'

Ah, I take it they have 'supplied' the hive and the bees for you to advertise their product. They don't miss too many opportunities! Lucky you if you retain it!

Is this the one with the 'fixed-position' divider?

The half-supers are a definite improvement on the originals, too, although I don't particularly like those on the Dartingtons; I usually use National supers for those.

Now then, the 64,000 dollar question is: Are you going to be honest and straight talking on the warts and all, or are you going to be sooo diplomatic as they gave you the toy to play with? (yes, you can see I am direct, to the point, and don't pull any punches!!)

Regards, RAB

Hello, Ian. Good luck with your new project.

One quick question - how confident are you that your green-marked queen (2009 vintage) will not disappoint in her third year of laying, next spring?

other Telegraph stuff

Also in the Torygraph today, an article about the reduction in pollination

Oliver90owner

The first thing any journalist worth the name learns, even before you figure out how to fill in an expenses form, is to put aside feelings of gratitude and report honestly on the things you've been given for nothing. I'm rather pleased with the beehaus so far, although I do have some concenrs about the price. They're a young, innovative design company though, and they've taken an interest in beekeeping. That's to be encouraged, I think.

The divider is moveable, I've heard some stories about bees getting stuck on the other side. I'm giving them the benfit of the doubt at the moment to test it, but if I find a significant number in the empty half I'll use the same method as with the dartington: a line of scouring pads cut up and used to plug the gap between the divider and the wall.

djg

I am expecting succession at some point next year, but I don't want to disturb them with a requeening this late in the year so I'm going to leave her to it and hope that she's up to the task.

Thanks for the welcome, looking forward to future communitcation.

Ian

Royalty

Generally useless and given far too much attention for no good reason, you mean? Yes, I expect you're right.

That above post is as clear as porridge.

As for pollination, I rather thought the consensus on here was that the population of bees in the UK if anything is on the up apart from possibly Scotland with the disease issuse there but I am hearing that the classes up there are in as much demand as down south of the border.

So the issue is what?

PH

Latest posts

Back