Beekeeping in Siberia

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
In tha capital city of Siberia in Yakutsk temp is now -48C.
Latitude is 62 degree.

What is special is Gigaframe size. 45 cm x 31 cm

Look the joint of frame sticks.

bees-6.jpg

2-korp_3II.jpg

http://al-bee.beelife.org/articles.php?lng=ru&pg=1504

Last edited:
Do they winter them in heated sheds, like in Canada?

What is special is Gigaframe size. 45 cm x 31 cm

The frame is Dadant Blatt with dimetnions 435 x 30 cm (same as MD frame). This type of frame is very popular among the former Soviet countries.

Do they winter them in heated sheds, like in Canada?

I think that they have not money for that

They can make it even if they have no money. In the couse of time you learn to make everyting from noting.

The folowing pictures are from a beekeeper in Nizhny Novogorod
The hives in the last two pictures are made from bulrush

Great pictures. Is that simply a storage shed with hives stacked for the winter (with straw stuffed into the entrances), or a real beeshed of the type used by Hedgerowski Peteski??

Happy Christmas :seeya:

Price of honey in Russia is high - over 20 euros a kilo in Moscow and not much less outside the city.

How it is possible whe Russian incomes are 1/10 that of Finland?

http://centralasianewswire.com/Inte...o-Kazakhstan-and-Japan/viewstory.aspx?id=2579

“Last week, (Tajikistan) sent Russia honey in a volume of 20 tons. The cost of one kilo of honey is $3.50 at wholesale price. Prior to that, Tajik honey in small quantities exported to Afghanistan, Iran and the UAE (United Arab Emirates),” Khalimov said.

But even 3,50 $ is high compared with their price level.

Last edited:
Rooftops,

The simple answer, I would think, is 'availability'.

Most shelves are often poorly stocked in Russia, or so I am led to believe. So honey, by the time it arrives in the city, is likely to be a luxury item?

Regards, RAB

Rooftops,

The simple answer, I would think, is 'availability'.

Most shelves are often poorly stocked in Russia, , RAB

Have you been there?

There foreign market houses in Russia and Russian businessmen may move freely to Europe. It s 20 years ago when Soviet Union colapsed.
Russians visit plenty in Finland and they are working here too. I have not heard that they buy here honey to bring it to home.

St Petersburg has as much inhabitants as the whole Finland.

Russia is the biggest oil and methane exporter in the world.

Scutellator, they are great pictures , thanks for posting them.

i did notice that the inside photo of the bee shed on the right hand side shows some form of straw on the top of the wall, does this mean that the shed is straw insulated?
or are they just standard corrigated tin sheds with one layer of metal to protect the bees and do you wait to use the snow as insulation?

Finman,

No, I haven't, but my wife visited for a week, about 5 years ago.

She was there for a lace course and found the commodoties supplied were quite inferior, they were always having to watch carefully so they were not 'ripped off'. Meals were 'OK, she says, but 'sparse' (like very sparse!) on vegetables'. Tips were a 'non-negotiable' item even if service was totally abysmal and transport (organised) was a nightmare!

Apart from that she found the place extremely clean and tidy.

The distinct impression I got from her was the things are there, but often you had to hunt them down. So it seems reasonable to premis there will not be so much bottled honey available cheaply.

Her clearest recollection was of the troubles 'eating out' as a group, at least in their locality.

Probably not much different than eating out in London - there you get the grub but can also pay a heavy mark-up on provincial prices

Regards, RAB

Russia has been unstabile nation for long time but s getting better.
For example 5 years ago Russian robbed Finnish tourists in the centre of city in front of eyes of Policemen. Police worked with robbers.

I was in Russia 1975. It is 300 km to go there but I am not interested.

Russians invent all kind of troubles at the border. You never know.Something money talks systems.
Sometimes there 50 km truck lines before the border.

Rekkajono.jpg

Last edited:
It was a Russian who told me the price of honey, but the price was the retail price in shops, not wholesale. He also said beekeeping in some areas of Russia is rapidly expanding. The company I know in Finland are doing a lot of business with Russia. Money does not seem to be an issue. Some Russians have a lot of it. The hotel I stayed at in Crete this year for full of Russians, many of a simliar age - 30 to 40 with stunning looking wives.

What is Russia's native bee?
I take it they can't import Italians/carnies into that climate.

Ben P

What is Russia's native bee?
I take it they can't import Italians/carnies into that climate.

Ben P

During Soviet Union beekeeping is well sustained by the state. They had connections to many countries and they propably have same bees races as Uk.

Russian was a big exporter in older days, but are those countries Russian any more? What is the truth? They has so huge propaganda system.

Italians and carnies do well in Polar Circle.

Native bees... in what part of country?

50 years ago my friend smuggled from Russia original Caucasian queens to Canada and he got breeded Caucasians from Canada.

Latest posts

Back