Beekeeping in Australia

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cefn Eithaf

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My daughter has just become a beekeeper in WA and there seems to be loads of differences. For example, she collected a small cast swarm and was advised not to feed whatsoever. So, I wondered why ? There must be loads of ther differences too.

My daughter has just become a beekeeper in WA and there seems to be loads of differences. For example, she collected a small cast swarm and was advised not to feed whatsoever. So, I wondered why ? There must be loads of ther differences too.
Ah…. Hence your post about Jarrah honey.

You may find advice will also vary depending on its source/beekeeper.😂Advice here also suggests not feeding swarms of unknown origin for a couple of days in order that they use any honey stores brought with them. This is to prevent disease transferring. I’ve spent time in WA an hour or 2 west of Perth, there in early spring atm so she should have a full season in front of her,

My daughter has just become a beekeeper in WA and there seems to be loads of differences. For example, she collected a small cast swarm and was advised not to feed...
In Australia they have much AFB in feral colonies. Feral colonies are plenty. If the swarm goes with its own, often it consumes its voyage food in drawing comb, and the swarm gets rid of foulbrood.

It means too, that do not put swarms on ready combs. Frames must be with foundations. If combs are ready, bees empty their bellies into combs in couple of hours.

Last edited:
Thanks Ian, I'm happy re not feeding for the first few days, their advice was not to feed at all ! The Jacaranda trees will be blooming soon around Perth. Beautiful and the last beekeeping paradise in the world.

Thanks Ian, I'm happy re not feeding for the first few days, their advice was not to feed at all ! The Jacaranda trees will be blooming soon around Perth. Beautiful and the last beekeeping paradise in the world.
When Jacarandas start to bloom, do not feed at all the hive. When the colony is small, it takes over 6 weeks that it starts to grow.

Feeding only fills the combs of the hive and bees do not have then maximun amount cells for brood.

Small casts can struggle and I wouldn’t expect any surplus for some time ref your jarrah post! She wants to be checking for stores most importantly a mated/ laying queen, most likely she’ll be up and running a couple of weeks after hiving. In the mean time keep inspections to a minimum just a quick peak to check stores/comb building if she can’t help herself. I have friends in Perth and wirraloo. A trip to Margret river area is a must.

Small casts can struggle and I wouldn’t expect any surplus for some time ref your jarrah post! She wants to be checking for stores most importantly a mated/ laying queen, most likely she’ll be up and running a couple of weeks after hiving. In the mean time keep inspections to a minimum just a quick peak to check stores/comb building if she can’t help herself. I have friends in Perth and wirraloo. A trip to Margret river area is a must.
The Margaret River area is a must, I was there back in 97, had a picnic around there when I journeyed from Perth down south to Albany, I saw a monument of a Vampire jet, there was a lovely meadery along the route, couldn't say no to a few tasters and a nice stay in the Dog Rock Motel in Albany. Also saw plenty of Jarrah en route. During my stay I went to one of my relatives apiaries in Perth.

Latest posts

Back