Beekeeping collections.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeeneil

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 plus 23 that I maintain for clients.
I visit 15 sites to inspect my or client's bees and because there were EFB alerts around a couple of my apiaries last year I have decided to keep a smoker and hive tool at any sensitive site and all my clients sites.
I went through all my bee sheds and van and came out with 5 smokers including a couple of lovely copper ones which came with a bundle of second hand kit I bought when first started. PLUS 12 hive tools!
I know I tend to lose these in the long grass regularly during the season and put another on my next order from the usual suspects but in the winter months I find them again.
Does anyone else accumulate items?IMG_10.jpg

SWMBO frequently nags me because (on her count) I have 57 screwdrivers. What she finds difficult to understand is that each one is slightly different, even if only in the colour of the handles, and thus indispensable.....

Last edited:
SWMBO frequently nags me because (on her count) I have 57 screwdrivers. What she finds difficult to understand is that each one is slightly different and thus indispensable.....
Ah, I don’t think screwdrivers count, I’ve be acquiring them since I was a kid and did a quick count in my bee shed to find 18, that’s without looking in my main shed, my 3 vehicle tool kits and my garage! As you say there are so many different uses for them including paint lid removal and stirring!!!! (That’s another source- the decorating kit box)
My screwdriver collection has taken 60 years my hive tool 5! 😁

I don't accumulate tools. I use them till they break 1> or are properly lost forever.

I would, however, like to accumulate full bottles of gin.:cool:

1> Beyong repair..

SWMBO frequently nags me because (on her count) I have 57 screwdrivers. What she finds difficult to understand is that each one is slightly different and thus indispensable.....
I have the same issues trying to explain to her my firearms collection

5mins after my last post re screwdrivers, the lights in my Beeshed shorted due to ingress of wind blown water into the roof. Got to reroute the cables. Good job I had those 3 electrical drivers! 😄

I was wondering does hundreds of feed bags hanging from a workshop count.
Or piles of off cuts of various bits of wood used for landscaping /fencing.
Plus a few shelves of rusty nails/screws in tabacco tins because they will come in use one day.
I've started to collect odd socks what do you think. 16111593733488779610500446634478.jpg

Plus a few shelves of rusty nails/screws in tabacco tins because they will come in use one day.
I've started to collect odd socks what do you think. View attachment 24055
No none of that counts as its all part of being a recycling technician. o_O

I have the same problem with ALL my collections ...I dare not even consider counting some things and I have collections she does not even know about ...
I just hope that when I shuffle off this mortal coil that she doesn't sell it off for the prices I told her I paid for it

I have the other one to the one with spots on it ... but it has a hole in the toe ... and it too is an orphan in my sock draw ...

The biggest enigma in my life is where do all the odd socks disappear to ... is there a hole in the space time continuum which they all disappear down or is there a sockberg in a sewer somewhere where they have congregated after escaping down the washing machine drain hole ?

I have the other one to the one with spots on it ... but it has a hole in the toe ... and it too is an orphan in my sock draw ...

The biggest enigma in my life is where do all the odd socks disappear to ... is there a hole in the space time continuum which they all disappear down or is there a sockberg in a sewer somewhere where they have congregated after escaping down the washing machine drain hole ?
try taking a panel off the washing machine and checking the void under the drum. Some years ago our washing machine (which had given us many years of good service) ground to a halt, we called out or local man although I thought it was terminal, after a lot of listening to the straining motor, pushing the drum around and general faffery he just turned and said 'sock' have you lost any? bit awkward for me to know as all my socks then were black uniform issue.
He was convinced that a sock or socks had managed to squeeze part the edges of the drum and had jammed it to the sides, after some instructions he left, with me still pushing the drum around until it began to ease until finally it would go through a spin cycle, after a wash load when the water wouldn't drain, I opened the filter on the drain and out popped a load of.... shredded black socks. This was a regular thing then, checking the filter after each was to remove any debris, thus avoiding a total flood, and we still reckoned there was more there when the machine finally died

Mine get eaten by Oscar our Springer Spaniel..... you would not want to wear one after it has been through his digestive tract!

Odds and ends nails/screws always come in handy.

I’m fast accumulating hive tools at the same rate as those elusive 10mm spanners and sockets

I can, however, still dress myself and can pair socks with ease...maybe it’a a sign of deteriorating mental health ? 🤪

S

:LOL:

What you should do Philip is get your good pairs of socks and your odd ones and put them all in the same draw.

Close your eyes and pretend you are doing a raffle it will spice things up.
life doesn't always have to be so equal and regimented.
Although SWMBO tells me off for going out-out wearing odd socks.. Can't wait to do that again.

:LOL:

What you should do Philip is get your good pairs of socks and your odd ones and put them all in the same draw.

Close your eyes and pretend you are doing a raffle it will spice things up.
life doesn't always have to be so equal and regimented.
Although SWMBO tells me off for going out-out wearing odd socks.. Can't wait to do that again.
I once had an early start for an appointment in London, caught the early train, took my seat and during the journey wondered why people kept looking at me and then averting their eyes, Got off the train at Waterloo and by chance looked down at my feet to discover, in the dark of the morining, as I had gone out of the door, I had put on one brown and one black shoe ... I asked the cabbie to find me a shoe shop on the way to my appointment .. cost me £30 for a new pair of shoes and a hefty tip for the cabbie, I put the pair of odd ones in my briefcase ... I got some odd looks from the assistant in the shoe shop and some even odder ones when I opened my briefcase at the appointment ... the people I was meeting didn't ask and I didn't offer any explanation but I bet they still wonder why a bloke selling Faberge fragrance had a black and a brown shoe in his briefcase ...

Strange lot the London commuters ... you would have thought someone would have sidled up to me and told me I had odd shoes on ...

I visit 15 sites to inspect my or client's bees and because there were EFB alerts around a couple of my apiaries last year I have decided to keep a smoker and hive tool at any sensitive site and all my clients sites.
I went through all my bee sheds and van and came out with 5 smokers including a couple of lovely copper ones which came with a bundle of second hand kit I bought when first started. PLUS 12 hive tools!
I know I tend to lose these in the long grass regularly during the season and put another on my next order from the usual suspects but in the winter months I find them again.
Does anyone else accumulate items?View attachment 24047
The middle ones are my favourite designs of hive tools. Always reach for them first amongst my (growing) collection. Why do hive tools grow in numbers, whilst Baldock cages always disappear for good ? 🤣

Books. I have an embarrassing number. I know there are a lot of regurgitated "facts" in books, but some books are fab and full of info. Reading on a screen don't compete with holding a book.....

Latest posts

Back