Beekeeping Benefits: Why Beekeepers Do It

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many people ask me why beekeeping is my preferred agricultural practice. They often cite the possibility of getting stung and ask if it pays off against the possible benefits of beekeeping.
My answer is always unique depending on who is asking, but it generally always involves mentioning a benefit or two of beekeeping.
After the benefits, I inform the person asking that the benefits are enough for me to practice and love beekeeping.
To use this tactic when you meet non-beeks out there, here are a few benefits from my arsenal;
• Bees can bring communities together. They help the beekeeper integrate better with the society around them. Every once in a while, you make a trip to gift neighbors some honey or reach out to the community around you as part of apiary safety and security. It helps with the maintenance of cordial relations too.
• Watching bees from a distance is very calming. When stressed, a visit to the apiary can help you relieve stress by engaging you in physical activity as well as from the therapeutic effect of watching bees come and go from the beehive.
• Nearly everyone knows the pollination activity of honey bees is great for many food crops. This is a benefit of beekeeping that is quite self-explanatory. Most people understand it quickly and appreciate it.
• Starting beekeeping is easy. It is not very capital-intensive and can be done in small spaces. I started off as a rooftop beekeeper and later moved to a more rural setting!
• The products we get from beekeeping have many economic and health benefits. Honey is natural food. It is the most popular product, followed by beeswax. Throw in other products such as royal jelly and propolis to the list and you are good to go. You may explain some of the uses of each product to make the point sink in.
The-Importance-of-Honey-Bees-in-Agriculture-310x165.jpg

These are the reasons I quickly resort to when I need to remind the occasional non-beekeeper of why I am in beekeeping. I also use them when trying to influence someone to become a beekeeper.
Feel free to share yours with me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back