Beekeeping Association Equipment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be careful if you decide to put casters on it
Only put casters on it if they are fixed to a board and the extractors fixed to that, fixing them direct to the legs will end in tears as there is too much torque the transmitted through the leg nearest the motor which will buckle the bottom of that leg.

Only put casters on it if they are fixed to a board and the extractors fixed to that, fixing them direct to the legs will end in tears as there is too much torque the transmitted through the leg nearest the motor which will buckle the bottom of that leg.
That sounds like the voice of experience ....

That sounds like the voice of experience ....
Yep, luckily I was keeping a close eye as I was experimenting with the whole setup - in the end I had to settle for two casters and just a block under the foot where the motor was fixed, but there was still excessive force on the other two castered feet.

I agree the risk is poor handling but isn't the way around that to give clear instructions, offer training and education how to use it (especially when it's new), educate all newbie's and insure the kit?
Possibly. Maybe the members of your association look after the equipment better than ours seem to! 😉

Last edited:
It's not the 600mm drum that won't go through standard doors ... it's the legs. I have a 15 frame electric Lega and to get it into the kitchen I have to take two legs off it. MInd you the legs on the Abelo are vertical wheras my Lega are splayed. Be careful if you decide to put casters on it as it may just push it over the edge for getting it in and out of cars. They are really heavy as well. Credit to you for getting it through the committee though and two of them !
Yes checked this too, the legs come off easily, also with the radial the central cage comes out easily by undoing 2 bolts so easy to clean.
We’re going to make a simple short video of how to use each bit of kit. Plus a simple laminated card of operator instructions. Then offering a training session too at one of our meetings. Hopefully that will make sure it gets used and looked after properly.

Yes checked this too, the legs come off easily, also with the radial the central cage comes out easily by undoing 2 bolts so easy to clean.
We’re going to make a simple short video of how to use each bit of kit. Plus a simple laminated card of operator instructions. Then offering a training session too at one of our meetings. Hopefully that will make sure it gets used and looked after properly.
I wouldn’t trust anybody with my Abelo 20 frame.
Maybe the answer is to charge a really hefty deposit which you can pay yourself every time you have to clean it and for repair when it gets damaged.

Maybe the answer is to charge a really hefty deposit which you can pay yourself every time you have to clean it and for repair when it gets damaged.
Yes agree with you & I’ve recommended we do just that. Pay a deposit and refund accordingly on the condition it’s returned in. For discussion at our next meeting!

That was the problem with our Association extractor ... people only did half a job of cleaning it and people used to get mighty off piste when they had to clean it properly before it could be used .. it too was a fairly big extractor and I think only the small manual one now never gets used and the big electric one I think is only used by the member who stores it for us. Most people seem to have their own. A deposit against it being returned clean and in good order might help but who polices the return ?

That was the problem with our Association extractor ... people only did half a job of cleaning it and people used to get mighty off piste when they had to clean it properly before it could be used .. it too was a fairly big extractor and I think only the small manual one now never gets used and the big electric one I think is only used by the member who stores it for us. Most people seem to have their own. A deposit against it being returned clean and in good order might help but who polices the return ?
Historically ours gets used weekly in the summer and sept. Usually returned in good condition but not everyone has a jet washer! I don’t store ours but will def use.

Our 9 frame old electric radials (not much smaller than the new ones I’ve bought) didn’t get used as much last season but that was due to the heather content as a v good season and balsam was hammered by a late May frost so poor

Not that many suggestions on other kit an association should have. Thanks to everyone who made suggestions, which I’ll have a think about

My BKA has pots of money sitting in the bank (over £14k at AGM before last with less than 100 members) which I try to get them to use for the benefit of the members - but the committee refuse and continue to add to the pile and tell me that they still believe they are working for the members best interests rather than the bank. Got loads of insurance cover and still don't move. Crackpot comes to mind having been in the business of money management for most of my working life.

My BKA has pots of money sitting in the bank (over £14k at AGM before last with less than 100 members) which I try to get them to use for the benefit of the members - but the committee refuse and continue to add to the pile and tell me that they still believe they are working for the members best interests rather than the bank. Got loads of insurance cover and still don't move. Crackpot comes to mind having been in the business of money management for most of my working life.
Maybe remind them that they cant take it with them, then request that they sponsor an apprenticeship placement in order to benefit the future of the club,:nature-smiley-005:

Reactions: mbc
Maybe remind them that they cant take it with them, then request that they sponsor an apprenticeship placement in order to benefit the future of the club,:nature-smiley-005:
Not a hope - have given up as I now have a wife with alzheimers as my top priority to care for. Had to learn how to do a pedicure a few weeks ago. Such fun!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Historically ours gets used weekly in the summer and sept. Usually returned in good condition but not everyone has a jet washer! I don’t store ours but will def use.

Our 9 frame old electric radials (not much smaller than the new ones I’ve bought) didn’t get used as much last season but that was due to the heather content as a v good season and balsam was hammered by a late May frost so poor

Not that many suggestions on other kit an association should have. Thanks to everyone who made suggestions, which I’ll have a think about
Apart from extraction and processing (which generally you would only do once or twice a year) there is not much else in the way of equipment that is bulky and only needed on an infequent basis that you have not covered in what you have already agreed to purchase. Anything else is going to be something that people need all the time and buy themselves.

I'd possibly be inclined to add a Sublimox and a decent full face mask to your list - OA by sublimation is by far the most effective treatment and if your members have been educated to the benefits a Sublimox is the Rolls Royce of applicators - I'd hire or borrow one if it was available.

In addition I've just bought one of these on Alibaba Express... Took a couple of weeks to arrive but looks exactly like the picture and well made.

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4001056695656.html
I can't comment personally on how good it is as I have't used it yet but it has some excellent reviews in the USA where it retails for at least $150 ... mine including shipping came in at £37 so for that price it was worth a punt. I've always used a knife or uncapping fork but it takes time compared to the look of this uncapping plane.

There are lots of videos on You Tube - Google Maxant Uncapping Plane

Apart from extraction and processing (which generally you would only do once or twice a year) there is not much else in the way of equipment that is bulky and only needed on an infequent basis that you have not covered in what you have already agreed to purchase. Anything else is going to be something that people need all the time and buy themselves.

I'd possibly be inclined to add a Sublimox and a decent full face mask to your list - OA by sublimation is by far the most effective treatment and if your members have been educated to the benefits a Sublimox is the Rolls Royce of applicators - I'd hire or borrow one if it was available.

In addition I've just bought one of these on Alibaba Express... Took a couple of weeks to arrive but looks exactly like the picture and well made.

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4001056695656.html
I can't comment personally on how good it is as I have't used it yet but it has some excellent reviews in the USA where it retails for at least $150 ... mine including shipping came in at £37 so for that price it was worth a punt. I've always used a knife or uncapping fork but it takes time compared to the look of this uncapping plane.

There are lots of videos on You Tube - Google Maxant Uncapping Plane

Excellent call on the Sublimox Philip. I would have liked the option to hire one but people might bulk at sharing face masks and the cost of a decent one is significant
I am contemplating buying one of these and possibly renting it out to interested parties as I find filling is time consuming and messy!

https://www.thorne.co.uk/processing...ssing/smart-weighing-and-filling-machine.html

but people might bulk at sharing face masks and the cost of a decent one is significant
Antiseptic wipes and it's sorted, we never had personal issue facemasks for using with our CABA fire rescue sets, just a good clean with some antiseptic wipes after wearing one was sufficient, the mask then being stored in a drawstring bag

The other thing you might consider is equipment for making foundation. A decent size double boiler and a foundation press. Although I don't use foundation I have one similar to this I picked up from a company in Lithuania for about £40 and it really works quite well. You might canvas your members to see if any of them would be interested in making foundation from their own wax ? Our association has one (somewhere) but I've never been able to track it down ... one of our members has one and we bring that out and make foundation at the Bees and Honey weekend we run every year at a local model farm.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...09895324494bc9baf81ba3863a6&afSmartRedirect=y

Antiseptic wipes and it's sorted, we never had personal issue facemasks for using with our CABA fire rescue sets, just a good clean with some antiseptic wipes after wearing one was sufficient, the mask then being stored in a drawstring bag
Post-covid you might not get so many people willing to accept antiseptic wipes!

Excellent call on the Sublimox Philip. I would have liked the option to hire one but people might bulk at sharing face masks and the cost of a decent one is significant
I am contemplating buying one of these and possibly renting it out to interested parties as I find filling is time consuming and messy!

https://www.thorne.co.uk/processing...ssing/smart-weighing-and-filling-machine.html
When I had my spraying company we had airfed masks which had to be shared - I had sanitising sprays that were used to cleanse them in between issues. I would suggest that facemasks could be loaned out with similar hygiene in place but people would have to purchase their own filters which could be retained for their personal use with the basic mask.

Latest posts

Back