Beekeeping Association Equipment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Chuffed to bits that my proposals for new equipment for our Association, was signed off last night by the Committee.

Spent a lot of time on it, reviewing existing equipment (not fit for purpose) and talking to experts outside our Association about pros and cons of different extractors, in particular. Our Association is in a heather area but some years the summer crop can be more heavily weighted to balsam. Spring with all the wooded valleys around, can be a good crop too, but about half the size of summer. Most members are hobbyists and have around 4 hives but there are a few that are keener with around 10-12 hives.

I've ordered 2 x new Abelo radial 20 frame extractors (one for each ends of our long district); 1 x Abelo swing cage tangential extractor; 1 x manual heather loosener and 1 x super warmer trolley (thanks @Erichalfbee). The latter equipment for heather extraction to sit alongside a simple press we own. Abelo were super helpful and efficient.

I'm now on a roll and it's led me to wondering what other equipment I could recommend, that would benefit Members of our Association? In addition to the radial & swing cage extractors, we have a small 4 frame electric extractor for beginners, a small wax capping steamer and a steamer for a brood box wax recycling.

What other equipment would you recommend for a medium sized association (around 130 members)? We don't have a teaching apiary & unlikely to start one, as our mentoring scheme works well, so any equipment would be for hobbyists and needs to be transportable by car and through the kitchen door.

We have some surplus cash but we're from Yorkshire, so a clearly thought through Business case and good value for money is important!

Appreciate your thoughts and ideas please

Last edited:
depends on how much individuals in the association are already equipped, but could include uncapping trays (either heated or not), filter sets and settling tanks?

Elaine you must have charmed the pants off the committee. Well done.I’m blown away by your success. I don’t suppose you want to pop down here to Ceredigion and kick our committee up the proverbial 😂

The only caveat I have is, how will the members get the extractors home? a twenty frame extractor is a lump of a thing, I know that many members didn't bother with the association extractor at my old BKA as they found a nine frame extractor was a faff to get into the kitchen.

The only caveat I have is, how will the members get the extractors home? a twenty frame extractor is a lump of a thing, I know that many members didn't bother with the association extractor at my old BKA as they found a nine frame extractor was a faff to get into the kitchen.
Yes, that's why every year when the proposal for a large electric extractor is raised at our BKA, it gets voted down.

Can't imagine the state it would be in after a couple of seasons of being manhandled into the back of people's hatchbacks only to find it won't go through their kitchen door.🙄

We have a few small manual extractors for beginners but after that the assumption is that continuing beekeepers will supply themselves.

In some BKA's it suits the few to have an item they can make use of.

Good haul of kit there elainemary, well done! I can not think of much else that would be of use and fit your transport requirements. I find somthing like an api melter or abelo meliflow really useful but transport would be a nightmare to transport. Bottling tanks could be handy.

Chuffed to bits that my proposals for new equipment for our Association, was signed off last night by the Committee.

Spent a lot of time on it, reviewing existing equipment (not fit for purpose) and talking to experts outside our Association about pros and cons of different extractors, in particular. Our Association is in a heather area but some years the summer crop can be more heavily weighted to balsam. Spring with all the wooded valleys around, can be a good crop too, but about half the size of summer. Most members are hobbyists and have around 4 hives but there are a few that are keener with around 10-12 hives.

I've ordered 2 x new Abelo radial 20 frame extractors (one for each ends of our long district); 1 x Abelo swing cage tangential extractor; 1 x manual heather loosener and 1 x super warmer trolley (thanks @Erichalfbee). The latter equipment for heather extraction to sit alongside a simple press we own. Abelo were super helpful and efficient.

I'm now on a roll and it's led me to wondering what other equipment I could recommend, that would benefit Members of our Association? In addition to the radial & swing cage extractors, we have a small 4 frame electric extractor for beginners, a small wax capping steamer and a steamer for a brood box wax recycling.

What other equipment would you recommend for a medium sized association (around 130 members)? We don't have a teaching apiary & unlikely to start one, as our mentoring scheme works well, so any equipment would be for hobbyists and needs to be transportable by car and through the kitchen door.

We have some surplus cash but we're from Yorkshire, so a clearly thought through Business case and good value for money is important!

Appreciate your thoughts and ideas please

Which association Elainemary? I'm also Yorkshire based so curious.

Most suppliers have already raised their prices, and the 'good' news is all manufacturers have said they will no longer guarantee long term price fixes, so prices could just go up overnight on a regular basis.

Yes very good point. I've been v thorough with my research and visited Abelo to check out all the dimensions, weights, motor size and even helped set one up in the showroom from the box! The 20 frame radial is only 600mm wide and the same outer size as the 8 frame swing cage. I could just about lift it on my own, but ideally needs a buddy to help

Maybe add lots of honey buckets and a pallet or two of glass jars before the price hike?
Yes, I thought about that. My background is in commercial buying and managing P&Ls; I headed up various buying teams for a large UK supermarket, so painfully aware price hikes were on their way from January. Just got in, in the nick of time and got a good deal. Prices will be going up a lot, over the next year. Raw materials like wood up 30%, poly up 15% steel up. I've got all my personal kit sorted for the season ahead and further.

Any funds Associations have, could be worth 25% less in 5 years time, with 7% inflation around the corner & if it continues, what else are they going to spend the money on is the key question? Fortunately our committee were prepared to listen and make the decision.

Last edited:
Yes, that's why every year when the proposal for a large electric extractor is raised at our BKA, it gets voted down.

Can't imagine the state it would be in after a couple of seasons of being manhandled into the back of people's hatchbacks only to find it won't go through their kitchen door.🙄

We have a few small manual extractors for beginners but after that the assumption is that continuing beekeepers will supply themselves.
What about climate change? As clubs are mainly for hobbyists with infrequent use of extractors maybe using twice a year max, should we all go out and buy our own? Strikes me as a waste of resources. The main reasons why I'm a member of a club is to pool resources, share kit and learn from each other. I agree the risk is poor handling but isn't the way around that to give clear instructions, offer training and education how to use it (especially when it's new), educate all newbie's and insure the kit?

Yes very good point. I've been v thorough with my research and visited Abelo to check out all the dimensions, weights, motor size and even helped set one up in the showroom from the box! The 20 frame radial is only 600mm wide and the same outer size as the 8 frame swing cage. I could just about lift it on my own, but ideally needs a buddy to help
It's not the 600mm drum that won't go through standard doors ... it's the legs. I have a 15 frame electric Lega and to get it into the kitchen I have to take two legs off it. MInd you the legs on the Abelo are vertical wheras my Lega are splayed. Be careful if you decide to put casters on it as it may just push it over the edge for getting it in and out of cars. They are really heavy as well. Credit to you for getting it through the committee though and two of them !

Latest posts

Back