Beekeeping Assessment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DianeJones

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, is anyone else doing their basic beekeeping assessment this season or has anyone who has done it got any advice to pass on
Thanks
Diane

Thanks Andy, I'll take a look.

I'm taking the basic assessment next wednesday

How did you get on VEG.

Diane

Silly me! It was Tonybloke who was having his on the following Wed.

Ok, Hi Tonybloke - how did YOU get on?

Diane :)

Fine! (I won't know the official result for about a month? but, the examiner didn't stop the examination, either!!)

swot up on diseases, all of the main 4, signs of, reporting issues, treatment, etc. be confident in your handling of the hive, and most of all, relax!! :chillpill:

Great, I'm looking forward to it.

Why do you need an assessment? I am new to bee keeping so I have lots of daft questions ;) Do you HAVE to do an assessment to keep bees or is it a test you have to pass to qualify to guide other bee keepers? I know the bee inspector has to check your bees, is this part of it?

Why do you need an assessment? I am new to bee keeping so I have lots of daft questions ;) Do you HAVE to do an assessment to keep bees or is it a test you have to pass to qualify to guide other bee keepers? I know the bee inspector has to check your bees, is this part of it?

Its normal to take the exam a year or two after a Beekeepers course IT IS NOT complusory

you are normally entered by your BKA and they use not your hive but a training apiary ( ie New Bees to you) it is a pratical and verbal exam ( well it was when i took it..has it changed???), cover spotting and reporting EFB, AFB, treatment Varroa manamnet, Nosema and bee diareeha , chalk brood etc, make a rame. frame sizes,

how do you inspect ,show what is brood, eggs, larva, caped stores, play cells if there..open up a hive and inspect a few frames

some council's have a clause, if you keep bees on allotmenent " must have BBKA Basic exam". if you have done beekeepig for a year...you should pass, realy they are looking for confidence in handling Bees

once you have that, there are modules, you can take for ahigher exam

The Bee inspectors ( or summer BIs) only know you have Bees if you registered on Bee Base...then he will inspect, our SBI inspects all beginers in the first year at least twice....but it varies

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for the explaination. I think Paul mentioned the bee inspector Ian Molieneux was going to inspect our bees. We have been very lucky with our guides, as they are well known in the bee keeping world. Hopefully, this time next year, I will be able to pass with flying colours......not bad for a girl with a bee phobia :D

Ok, thanks for the explaination. I think Paul mentioned the bee inspector Ian Molieneux was going to inspect our bees. :D

too cold and wet, for me "up north"....soft southern Beekeeper...season march to septemer in London Micro climate...i inspected today..third day 30c +, sunny Green corridor 2000 acre coridor of small horse and hay meadows and surban gardens...now we need rain to keep forage up

Before I got into this I didn't realise how, even in a country as small as England, the differences, especially with regards to bee keeping, are great. I have so many questions for Paul now, I have learnt so much on here. As one question is answered though, it creates a hundred more :)

To follow on from Muswell's excellent reply.

No you don't have to do the basic assessment. It's an indication that you know, funnily enough, the basics of beekeeping. You can keep bees and be an excellent beekeeper and never go near the assessments or any of the other exams.

As has been mentioned, if you've any intention to keep bees on an allotment then doing the basic assessment is, if not a requirement, then a decent insurance policy for future requirements as an increasing number of councils are asking that [potential] beekeepers have the basic assessment.

Whatever your view of the BBKA, the modules and assessments aren't some scheme to force you to beekeep down a specific route but as with any certification it demonstrates to anyone that cares that you might, actually, have half a clue what you're on about.

I'm not here to cheerlead the BBKA, but I am the education officer for our local assocation. I have my own "issues" with the BBKA, but I do think that the modules and practical assessments are worth persuing if you want to be a better beekeeper.

Thank you Nellie, I will certainly ask Paul, my guide over the next year, about what requirements are needed in our allotments. I am sure, as there are many methods and different ways to keep bees that one day I will have my own preferences. But for now I think following the guidelines wouldn't be a bad idea while I am learning. I know Paul has his own methods and I couldn't learn from a better source really. He knows his onions :D
I bought one of his books this week and am going through it learning as much as I can. I have also learnt a lot from this forum. I don't usually like forums but every thread I read on here has me interested.

As I learn and gain experience, I have no doubt at all that I will keep asking and posting on this forum. I know where to come to now when and if I take the assessment myself :)

Thank you Nellie

Karen

I'm not here to cheerlead the BBKA, but I am the education officer for our local assocation. I have my own "issues" with the BBKA, but I do think that the modules and practical assessments are worth persuing if you want to be a better beekeeper.

Thats very well put Nellie.

I think most have to agree that the local BBKA branch's do an amazing job representing the beekeeping craft and with all time/effort given for free.

I would never have got involved with bee's myself without the support I was given at local level when I started out.

Its just a shame that as you get to county/national level they hear the voices of the real members/local associations less and less and do what they thinks best for the future of Beekeeping.

The Bee inspectors ( or summer BIs) only know you have Bees if you registered on Bee Base...

Not quite so! our local inspector also asks other beeks if they know others in the area that have bees (we have an outbreak of EFB nr Norwich), this is apparently common practice.

Back