Beekeepers smell

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have been told that bees recognise beekeepers by their smell after a short time?

Is there any truth in this?

I have been told that bees recognise beekeepers by their smell after a short time?

Is there any truth in this?

Yes, they attack. When I nurse the hive, I go under wind side that my smell does not drift in the hive.

If you are too sweaty, it is better to wash your self or change the shirt.

That is what I know about issue.

My bees hate prawn sandwiches from Tesco.

I had one then went to see the bees. I had bees covering the veil. Not happy.

It is also colony dependant. Some stand for more than others.

They all hated fish.

I would not put any credence from a statement of ;

have been told that bees recognise beekeepers by their smell after a short time?

Bees live for about six weeks during the season so that would be six inspections?

I do not think that your bee suit will smell the same week after week. Your body odour will probably remain the same, but your breath will differ on each occasion.
Do the bees remember?
I don't think so. I could be wrong.

regards;

The sweat comment interests me, not because im particularly sweaty, but because we all sweat in the suits during summer, sorry ladies i know you perspire.

So in that case do they react to fresh sweat, which i think has less odour, than stale sweat which as we know is very potent.

i would guess that natural predators like bears would smell quite musty, so a beekeeper wearing the same t-shirt on more than one inspection would be at greater risk of being stung

i know when a chuck up a bit the bees seem to give me a harder time.:nature-smiley-011:

I was advised never to eat a banana just before opening a hive - never have, so cannot confirm reaction - maybe if I am bored next summer -will try :smilielol5:

Given the number of eggs laid by the queen per day and the maturation
time of a bee, one can figure out just what percentage of the bees in
the hive might have a chance to experience "an inspection" in their
lifetime, let alone more than once in their lifetime.

Long story short, not a chance.

I was told to avoid raw onion and garlic and that upsets them... out your mouth and out of your pores. true or not??

I was told to avoid raw onion and garlic and that upsets them... out your mouth and out of your pores. true or not??
I love onoins and garlic , I have never noticed my bees behaviour being altered by the smell of these things:), my wife assists me on occasion , often wearing perfume, again the bees pay her no particular attention :).
Lot's of myths have been generated about varying reasons for bees becoming stroppy.
Often something (unknown to us ) has wound the bees up before our arrival at the apiary .
I recall opening a colony with a friend of mine, as we lifted off the last super, the bees boiled out through the Queen excluder and were in full attack mode, bouncing off us like lead shot :). The friend who was well experienced said, " just stroll over by the green house for a while ", " shouldn't we cover them ?" said I., "no leave them be, ". 15 mins later we reurned to the hive and he carried on as though nothing had happened. The bees were unbelievably different !. "What was that all about " I asked . "Don't know, but what ever it was it weren't owt to do with me or thee " said he.

I was told, last night, by a very experienced beek that bees do not like the smell of newly dug/tilled ground. Does anyone have experience of this? It was new one on me.

Despite their feminine nature, LYNX deodorant doesnt seem to improve their temper :).

That's a shocker Bucks_boy. Lynx is supposed to work on all females. Ring Trading Standards immediately.

I agree,I was using Lynx Chocolate last summer and they never seemed to keen on it.

Would of put you down for more of an old spice man Admin.

Brut makes me think of Starsky and Hutch, David Essex and David Cassidy..... I can see you in the flares with the perm already Admin.

Back