Beekeepers Professions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't think I have the cojones to shimmy up a cut tree
I suppose compared to going up the jacob's ladder of a tanker in ballast anchored in the Thames estuary during a storm made me feel it was a doddle - I must say I wasn't long up the tree mind!

I find the leeks, if left in the ground will easily last the whole of the winter and well past St David's day in the spring, of course, bit of a pain digging them up if there's a hard frost! But my grandfather always seemed to manage as there were always plenty of leeks available for the family every week without fail

Doubtless, being a disciple of St David, I imagine on March 1st you wear a leek on one lapel and a daffodil on the other?;)

And a daffodil between his teeth ?

Was it in 'Doctor in the House' (1954, Richard Gordon) that a nurse dealing with a rather stroppy patient told him to lie on his stomach so that she could take his rectal temperature? The scene closes with her leaving the room after taking a daffodil from a vase on the patient's bedside cabinet and placing it in lieu of the thermometer...:eek:

Was it in 'Doctor in the House' (1954, Richard Gordon) that a nurse dealing with a rather stroppy patient told him to lie on his stomach so that she could take his rectal temperature? The scene closes with her leaving the room after taking a daffodil from a vase on the patient's bedside cabinet and placing it in lieu of the thermometer...:eek:
I think it was .... Carry on Nurse in 1959 ... the second of the Carry on films .. The first was Carry on Sergeant in 1958 ... In the last scene of the fim Hattie Jacques came in to find Wilfred Hyde-White (The PITA Colonel) with the daff stuck in his rear.. and he says ' Surely you've seen a temperature taken like this before?" To which she replies, "Yes, Colonel, but never with a daffodil!"

https://www.carryon.org.uk/nurse.htm

there has been two filums with this joke in (one was a carry on, maybe both) I know in the one where it was Wilfred Hyde White who was the 'victim' he actually played a patient who was liked by all but was a bit of a scallywag - got the nurses to act as bookie's runners for him!
I think the second time was in colour

Don't think I have the cojones to shimmy up a cut tree :) I do use a weighted line to get ropes into the branches though.

James
My last tree disaster was when a huge walnut fell across my veg patch and fruit cage. Cut enough off enough weight to allow it to stand back up in the hole it left but it moved a foot. I now have a huge stump sitting over a vast hole! Looks quite affective so planted round it! I stopped felling large trees when I was in my thirties and took out the corner of my mother in law's garage!

Like Max Boyce?

I remember when I was in secondary school, my mother asking my grandfather for a decent sized leek for my blazer on St David's day 'I'll do my best' he said 'poor crop this year, only got small ones' so I asked for one to be sown on each lapel
My back was killing me by the end of the day, they must have weighed a couple of pounds each!! and I could hardly see where I was going through the foliage

My last tree disaster was when a huge walnut fell across my veg patch and fruit cage. Cut enough off enough weight to allow it to stand back up in the hole it left but it moved a foot. I now have a huge stump sitting over a vast hole! Looks quite affective so planted round it! I stopped felling large trees when I was in my thirties and took out the corner of my mother in law's garage!
We hollowed out a tree stump in our garden and planted campanula, bees love it

I remember when I was in secondary school, my mother asking my grandfather for a decent sized leek for my blazer on St David's day 'I'll do my best' he said 'poor crop this year, only got small ones' so I asked for one to be sown on each lapel
My back was killing me by the end of the day, they must have weighed a couple of pounds each!! and I could hardly see where I was going through the foliage
I remember one of my friends munching on the leek he had, not much left by the time we went home. Back then, St David's day was always a half day in school, how times have changed.

I remember one of my friends munching on the leek he had
Always did - and as there was always cawl served when the midday bell was rung for dinner - some of it was added to that as well.

Like Max Boyce?

I'd love to be fluent in Welsh, both my grown up children are, my daughter is a Welsh teacher. My grandfather was from Machynlleth,fluent,but didn't pass it on to my mother unfortunately, lovely to hear them chat to each other, such a lovely sounding language

Back to the subject. Had some amazingly fun jobs in my younger days when backpacking like a cocktail barman in Hong Kong and a kitchen hand on the tourist boats in Sydney harbour (NY Eve was epic). Ended up doing Contracts/Commercial Management when I got back and an OU law degree and have been doing the same ever since in defence/aerospace/telecoms and now IT.

Back to the subject. Had some amazingly fun jobs in my younger days when backpacking like a cocktail barman in Hong Kong and a kitchen hand on the tourist boats in Sydney harbour (NY Eve was epic). Ended up doing Contracts/Commercial Management when I got back and an OU law degree and have been doing the same ever since in defence/aerospace/telecoms and now IT.
Gosh how do you find time to keep bees!!

Latest posts

Back