Beekeepers Professions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just starting to experiment with brewing beer. Have done mead and wine for a while. Have done a few kits and now I'm looking to doing some LME recipes.
Jump in the deep end and buy a grainfather. It's an all in one kit, kind of. Look at YouTube videos to whet your appetite. Easy enough to convert old fridges for fermentation with good temp control added.

Self employed landscaper gardener , designing and building for 20 years now. Summer job that turned into career. Backpacked and dossed till I was mid 20s then college to do a profession that I had previously worked in that I enjoyed. Landscaper came tops and never looked back. Speaking of hobbies and having too many....when it's windy I go kitesurfing, when not windy brew beer, during the rugby season im a referee, also I keep around 8 hives. Being my own boss makes all of these much more enjoyable.
Quite a few landscapers on here.
Are there any Jack's?

Do any of you beeks look after other people's bees when the owners go on holidays?
Yes intermittently.
But when you discover that on your FIRST inspection the bees have already swarmed, you tend to go off the idea.

I'm with you on owning a little bit of land and would love chickens!!!!
This chap turned up in my garden last week. He's an Asil Game Cock that I named 'Chicken George.' Not yer average chicken! After a few days he decided that the garden was his and reverted to form by attacking me every time I went outside. He had to go. He should count himself lucky that my partner decided to call the RSPCA, before I 'dealt' with him in a more traditional way :rolleyes: I used to look after chickens when I lived and worked in Oxfordshire. They are great fun and good at clearing gardens of snails and slugs!

Attachments

• Chickengeorge.jpg
    Chickengeorge.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 29
  • ChickenG.jpg
    ChickenG.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 25
  • Roosting.jpg
    Roosting.jpg
    775.4 KB · Views: 31
  • RSPCA.jpg
    RSPCA.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 33
Quite a few landscapers on here.
Are there any Jack's?
When 'The Great Storm' happened in '87 I was already doing a fair amount of tree work along with landscaping. After that night I spent nearly two years scrabbling around in trees, hanging off ropes etc.. I ended up with around half a dozen people working for me at one point. It was a crazy time!

Jump in the deep end and buy a grainfather. It's an all in one kit, kind of. Look at YouTube videos to whet your appetite. Easy enough to convert old fridges for fermentation with good temp control added.

4 of us have clubbed together in our village for a grainfather and have gone for their fermenter too....it is superb

Wow, chair and small table in shadow? Tomatoes in foreground, corn and rhubarb in background?

I started to learn beekeeping in 1972 at agriculture college in the Netherlands as part of my fruit growing course. After a practicum with a commercial beekeeper in the Cotswolds that first summer I was hooked and I went back and took on the school apiary. In 1974 I got my first job as a gardener working with people with special needs in a Camphill community in Northern Ireland. It was the height of the troubles and the police /fire service had noone on their books to collect swarms because you might then have to go into the other side's territory. As a foreigner I could safely go everywhere so by the end of my first year there I had 18 hives and a good crop of honey. Since then I have become a priest of The Christian Community and my former job has become my hobby with a large allotment and 15 hives of bees

I started to learn beekeeping in 1972 at agriculture college in the Netherlands as part of my fruit growing course. After a practicum with a commercial beekeeper in the Cotswolds that first summer I was hooked and I went back and took on the school apiary. In 1974 I got my first job as a gardener working with people with special needs in a Camphill community in Northern Ireland. It was the height of the troubles and the police /fire service had noone on their books to collect swarms because you might then have to go into the other side's territory. As a foreigner I could safely go everywhere so by the end of my first year there I had 18 hives and a good crop of honey. Since then I have become a priest of The Christian Community and my former job has become my hobby with a large allotment and 15 hives of bees
Gosh what an interesting story, the allotment is stunning, green with envy😉

Latest posts

Back