Beekeepers in the Floods

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
>20
I caught a wee bit of the BBC news last night and it showed a pair of Beekeepers caught up in the floods, surveying a mess of supers and frames etc in the back garden of a house. Was it any of the forum members?

It was two lads from York. Do any of you East Yorks folk know who they were? Let's see if we can help them get up and running again.

I noticed that they were using 'Poly Hives' so lets hope that these can be washed and re-used. Devastating see all those hive bits and frames floating in the water.

It was two lads from York. Do any of you East Yorks folk know who they were? Let's see if we can help them get up and running again.

I recognised one of the lads as being among the beekeeping staff at Sand Hutton during a visit regarding the smart bee project last summer. I would expect the losses to be covered by insurance but if more information comes to light that they need support we keepers local to the area can no doubt be relied upon to help.

I would expect the losses to be covered by insurance but if more information comes to light that they need support we keepers local to the area can no doubt be relied upon to help.

Let's see if we can help them get up and running again.

I read elsewhere that their losses could amount to around 25k's worth of equipment.

It was mentioned on the news that it was a beekeeping business.

A guy about 3 miles down the road lost a few hives in 5 feet of flood water when the river burst it's bank.. Gutted for him... He runs an organic veg farm and lost his ducks and chickens as well.... :-(

Latest posts

Back