beehive roofs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteinwilts

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
Hi Guys

The beehives I have got (so far!) have polycarbonate roofs.

The hives would blend in quite nicely into the hedgerow as I have painted the hives in a mottled green colour.

however, the roofs glare in the sun and stick out like a sore thumb. Can I use any spray type paint to paint the roof?... two objectives... one to stay on the hive when the roof expands\contracts, the second to not kill the bees!!

thoughts?
Cheers
Pete

Hi Guys

The beehives I have got (so far!) have polycarbonate roofs.

The hives would blend in quite nicely into the hedgerow as I have painted the hives in a mottled green colour.

however, the roofs glare in the sun and stick out like a sore thumb. Can I use any spray type paint to paint the roof?... two objectives... one to stay on the hive when the roof expands\contracts, the second to not kill the bees!!

thoughts?
Cheers
Pete

I like that 'not killing bees' is an objective :)

not killing bees = not toxic!!

If it is polycarbonate you could use the sort of paint they use on R/C model cars. The problem will be finding it in large amounts but you can get small cans from model shops. You could also get all sorts of go faster stickers for the hives as well.

rooftops iss correct, most paints will destroy the polymer structure and it goes flexible, and bends

could you glue a sheet of biulders felt on? or paint a thin sheet of ply and keep in on with the statutory Brick issued to all beeKeepers for use in strong winds

go faster stickers.... hhmmm... not exactly stealthy!

what about some sort of paint for plastic car bumpers??

you could try another option, just rub them over with sandpaper to take the gloss off, if that doesn't satisfy the it won't be wasted effort because the mattness will provide a key for future paint.

Latest posts

Back