Beehive and frame construction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

escib

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi All. I bet this topic has been discussed countless times. I was asked by my son to construct some hives for his new hobby. I searched the net for plans and measurements.
Building the boxes was simple enough. I have used the British National plans. 18 1/8 ins square outside, 8 7/8 ins deep, and 3/4 inch pine. My problem came up with finding the right measurements for the frames. I have searched the net and could not find the right sizes to match my boxes. I get the feeling they need to be around 16 1/4 ins long (top bar). what would be the length and width of the side bar? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for a quick reply. I have used this site and the dimensions provided. It seems I am doing something wrong and cannot seem to find out where i am mistaken.
Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 09.11.26.png

If the hive is 18 1/8 ins long outside, and using 3/4 inch wood, the inside dimensions are 16 5/8 ins on one side and 15 1/8 ins long on the other side. How would the top bar fit if it is 17 ins long?
If the shorter side is 8 7/8 ins less 3/4 inch..,,thus being 8 1/8 ins deep, how would the side bar be 8 1/2 ins long? Allowing for bee space of 3/8 inch, I think it should be around 8 1/8 ins?
Somewhere I am making a mistake........Any ideas help appreciated.

Progress so far......:)

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_6.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
Hi All. I bet this topic has been discussed countless times. I was asked by my son to construct some hives for his new hobby. I searched the net for plans and measurements.
Building the boxes was simple enough. I have used the British National plans. 18 1/8 ins square outside, 8 7/8 ins deep, and 3/4 inch pine. My problem came up with finding the right measurements for the frames. I have searched the net and could not find the right sizes to match my boxes. I get the feeling they need to be around 16 1/4 ins long (top bar). what would be the length and width of the side bar? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Buy a first set of DN3 brood frames and copy them? You may discover it's not worth the faffing about unless you have the right machinery and sufficient demand.

yes......you are right......my mistake for trying to cut corners......back to the drawing board for me :(

Latest posts

Back