Beehaus just arrived! - first impressions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a lot of *Kenyan top bar hives used in hot parts of the world - one of the moderators on another bee forum I use is based in Tucson Arizona, and uses them most successfully.:coolgleamA:

*The name's a bit of a giveaway as to the sort of climate they're happy in......

No bother. Just checking. Precision and accuracy and all that - some think the same but they are definitely not!

And sorree. Polystyrene is, of course, the stuff drinks dispenser plastic cups are made of. No air involved, just plain simple polymer. Expanded- and styro- foam are different. I just put in styrofoam inserts in my (expanded) polystyrene nuc hives to convert from Lang. to National.

RAB

ok am a newbee to this bee-keeping lark but more I been reading the more it has me hooked ,,I live in a quite part in the ne uk and am lucky to be close to a wild colony of bees that have been in the walled garden for a few hundred years! So the old gardener told me :), two colony’s live in the wall and it’s amazing to watch them take flight early on and head to the river!! So I have purchased a dartington wood hive (as I love the look of them) and hoping to entice a swarm next year any tips rab on these hives would be great!!

No real tips, apart from you have plenty of time to read Robin's book(let) on the DLDH. Lots of operating ideas in that, along with the 'thinking reasons' behind the bees' behaviour . I do my own thing with them, as they are my 'static hives'.

The one main thing I do differently, is simply use National supers - not those honeyboxes. They do come in useful for bait hives and keeping the roof level, but apart from that I find they are a pain.

OK if you really need the lesser weight of a half super, but I can get by without....

Extras:- Add a couple of under-floor battens so the floor can be sealed up if required, extend the roof sides so a wadge of insulation can be placed over the cluster and add some insulation on the sides, where the winter cluster is situated (the frames are brooded right to the edges even in early spring - just like a polyhive).

Heat loss can be further minimised by insulating appropriately at both ends, making sure there is no constriction to the entry/exit slot. Real cosy bees, real early starters in the spring-time - just beware of stores requirements with the early brood!

I like mine. Easy to work in the early spring/summer.

Oh, and remember these are top bee space (supers and any other colonies you may acquire all need to be the same, for ease of operation).

Regards, RAB

thank u for quick reply will study what u have said ,, its funny once u become interested in bees u start to notice things more,,just had the dog out at bottom of the pasture noticed loads of bumble-bees and very goldern looking bees (think just coverd in pollen) flying among this wild orchid foxglove looking plants ,,theres acars of this plant might be worth putting a hive or 2 down by the river.. anyone no the plants name ?
thanks again rab :)

yip just looked it up and id say ur correct,,away read up see if its anygood for honey :)

Of course the bees will love the Dartington but you know what will happen the green will clash with the outfits.

only came in green im afraid £80 fleabay seems il have to change my supers if rabs right.. wouldnt care it came with 8 suppose i can dot them around use them as bait hives and try catch these black bees! went coast other day with the little one she went splodgeing in the sea ,,,i put here boots outside back door to find a hour later 10+ bees looking as if they were drinking from the laces this know thing for them to like sea-salt ?

RAB
Totally agree about the Dartington, mine still has 14 frames of bees and 9 frames of brood at present, the queen has gone and led up the drone comb in there just last week but obviously that size with no honey boxes leads to demand for food but in controlled amounts to stop them going to far into winter with big brood nest. I think they are great but as you say a static hive, but good for cell raising.
Kev

Latest posts

Back