Beehaus for sale?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rampino

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi has anyone got a Beehaus they no longer use and would be willing to sell on?
I would eve consider one that is damaged or has bits missing.

Check out what standard nationals are in the seconds sales unless there is a specific reason you are looking at a beehaus

Hi has anyone got a Beehaus they no longer use and would be willing to sell on?
I would eve consider one that is damaged or has bits missing.

Rare as hens teeth on the second hand market - most people have realised they are better off as a patio ornament - to keep their beers cool in :D

Hi Sean, ask your neighbour how much he wants for it.
Thanks

Rare as hens teeth on the second hand market - most people have realised they are better off as a patio ornament - to keep their beers cool in :D

Well Jenkins, if the beehaus is as useless as you imply, surely people would be keen to sell them. Do you have experience of using a Beehaus, or are you just prejudiced?
It’s my first year and I have used both National with 14x12 frames and Beehaus.
The bees in the Beehaus produced honey, the ones in the National didn’t.
Also as an older guy whose back goes out more than he does, I find the working height of the Beehaus more comfortable.

Also as an older guy whose back goes out more than he does, I find the working height of the Beehaus more comfortable.

it is - but instead on spending a fortune on a faddy piece of plastic which has little insulation, build (or get someone to build) a Dartington for you, or, have a web search as one equipment seller now sells a long hive in national format. As a complete beginner, you will soon find there are lots better alternatives than the beehaus
Either that, or forget the standard low hive stands for your Nationals and build 18" hive stands - as someone with three prolapsed discs and a compound wedge fracture in the lower spine, I find it makes a big difference.

The bees in the Beehaus produced honey, the ones in the National didn’t.
Proves nothing

Rampino, you'll find little love for the Beehaus on this forum. If you look back at all the posts on it you'll find it's attacked for its price, its materials, its construction, its colours, and those who use them as being beekeeping dilettantes. Many of the arguments are also thrown at a very different hive, the flow hive. Also at the rose hive and anything else that doesn't conformity the norm.
I've never worked with anything but a national, and I suspect JBM and the other attackers haven't either. Some of their arguments may be correct. But they're all very old and very set in their ways.
Get yourself an Abelo poly national. The attacks on poly hives that were common a few years ago seem to have died down, and many of us find that the colonies in poly come out of winter a lot stronger, and so bring in more honey.

Hi Thorn, Strangely I’m a Leeds boy stranded in London. Where in Leeds do you live?
Thanks for your balanced reply. I find that just because a lot of people use the National and the bee clubs use it for training they assume that it has to be the best option. That’s like saying that because a lot of people drive a Ford Focus and the driving instructors use it, it has to be the best car. I would say that the Beehaus’s main disadvantage is initial purchase price. The colours-well it was probably pitched to people wanting to keep bees in an urban setting, rather than out in the country. The box size seems to be close to the optimal size as found by researchers. What you don’t seem to be able to do easily are some of the manipulations they teach you in the classes. Maybe you don’t need to do some of them.
Insulation- I thought that as it is effectively twin-walled, the insulation is OK. Anyway, I will find out next spring if my colonies have survived. They have certainly prospered so far.
If the insulation is not good I was wondering about injecting some building foam into the cavities.

I've never worked with anything but a national, and I suspect JBM and the other attackers haven't either. Some of their arguments may be correct. But they're all very old and very set in their ways.

I'm afraid you would be wrong on quite a few points there, including the age bit. Worked with quite a few hive setups in my time both here and overseas.

It's obvious from the OP's total lack of humour and his obvious fixation with the beehaus that' although a first year bee haver he has settled firmly in both the dilettante and 'set in ways' camp.

Up to each individual how they keep their bees and what they keep them in. If you ask for opinions you'll get them, and they may differ from your own!

Rampino says the main disadvantage of the Beehaus is the initial purchase price. I have just looked and they are "from £499".
For that I can but 3 cedar hives!
Each to their own, but I love my cedar hives.

3.....a lot more than that in seconds!! People can keep bees in a plant pot for all it matters to me as long as they can be inspected. I’ve had bees in plenty of long hives and very odd hives when I was younger, whilst not owning a beehuas a friend had 1 at a teaching apiary I helped in for many years and quite frankly they are carp. It would be remiss of any practical beekeeper not to give an honest opinion!!. And yes I have also taken those in wheelchairs around long hives so am aware of the practical uses of a long hive when needed. But even then they don’t have to be ripped off to the tune of £500.00. Mind you dartingtons are pricey although very easy to replicate.

|I looked at one which was on sale brand new at an event and my thought then was an utterly shoddy overpriced bit of plastic. No thanks.

PH

I saw one sold for £10 at bee auction two years ago

Many people there - no bids

Latest posts

Back