Beehaus Blowing Over

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pandtpoultry

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, I thought I would post this to see if this was a common problem.

At the end of last week we had very heavy winds and so strong infact that mt Beehaus was blown right over, alsmost 10' away into the brook.

Has anyone else had the same problem. I personally love the beehaus but being so high off the ground I suppose it was an accident waiting to happen.

I have added 2 x 3" stakes and heavy rocks on the legs to hold it but just wanted to let anyone else whom has one know what happened.

I would also like to thank Pete (Hivemaker) for all his help and advise and after all checks made my conoly is fine and the queen seems very happy :)

i'd get local builders merchant to produce some long metal U pegs to hammer into the ground trapping the "feet".

That must of been some wind to blow over a Beehaus + colony, frames and hopefully about 35-40lbs worth of stores at this time of year..
:angelsad2:

Poor site selection? Lack of precautions? It's a wonder it was not blown away by a lesser wind earlier.

There seem to be several issues with the design, coming out of the woodwork. That 'supposed' large number of experienced beeks, testing it over a period of two years or more, were obviously/apparently lacking in sufficient numbers and/or experience!

Regards, RAB

Hi, thanks for your comments. Yes it was a very windy day. we lost a tree and many other branches as well but chicken houses survived. It was in the most secluded place in my fields. Have added heavy slabs on the legs but will create the u shape clips for the legs and hammer them in the ground.
Personally as a new bee keeper apart from blowing over I think the beehaus is great.

Oops!

Guy ropes needed!

Sexist and inappropriate comment..

Rephrase it to "Person ropes needed" and do not cause future offence ..
:rant:

I collect old 2' x 2' paving slabs and drill a hole through the center.

I then pass a rust proof hook through the hole and bolt it in place.

The hive sits on the paving slab and my ratchet strap goes through the hook anchoring it to the paving slab.

I spirit level the paving slab when putting it in place keeps the hive level and keeps the legs off the soil.

I get my paving slabs in unlimited quantities for free from Freecycle! :hurray:

The same as would happen to any other hive that is kept on a rooftop.

Yes, but Omlet make a big feature of it's suitability for rooftop beekeeping. That being the case, they presumably have thought of issues with it being blown about.

Adam

Get real. Most roofs, where they might be kept safely would have a parapet, so the scenario of one blowing from a roof top is very remote. Just think about it sensibly; an easily accessible roof with no parapet has the likely much greater hazard of the beek falling off!

RAB

That 'supposed' large number of experienced beeks, testing it over a period of two years or more, were obviously/apparently lacking in sufficient numbers and/or experience!

Regards, RAB

or so you thought RAB! It's hardly Omlette's fault if consumers dont buy all the optional extra's. I'm sure I saw the 'safe land' self-deployer available on their web-site.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back