Beech grove garden

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victor meldrew

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Just been watching bee grove garden .
The old beekeeper on there still had ancient metal frame spacers and dumped a full super directly on the grass :)
I'll bet he hasnay poisoned nor inflicted Black Death on anyone :D
VM

I'm still using a few metal spacers, keep forgetting to replace them. They remind me of my early days.

Come to that, I found an old split top super this morning which I'm still using for an end super. It was full of capped honey which I have just extracted. I know I should bin it but I can't quite do the deed.

Cazza

It was full of capped honey which I have just extracted. I know I should bin it but I can't quite do the deed.

Cazza

I know what you mean.I hate to think of bees' lives wasted on a fifth of a teaspoon of fatal slog!
I scrape every last bit out of the honey buckets and the extractor.
I've had more honey than ever this year (but nowhere near some on here :) ) so I have bits and bobs of saved dregs in the fridge and assorted jars for sorting.

PS i found an absolutely marvellous recipe for spicy sticky honey cake which works even with all that frothy waxy stuff skimmed off the top of the bucket :)

Last edited:
PS i found an absolutely marvellous recipe for spicy sticky honey cake which works even with all that frothy waxy stuff skimmed off the top of the bucket :)

Brilliant idea would you mind sharing the recipe? I have a glut of the frothy stuff being new to having honey.....

Here you go.
It's American so has cup measurements

3 1/2 cups (440 grams) all-purpose(plain) flour

1 tablespoon (15 grams) baking powder ....yes it's a lot but cake needs it.
1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

1 cup (235 ml) vegetable oil
....I used melted butter.
1 cup (340 grams) honey

1 1/2 cups (300 grams) granulated sugar

1/2 cup (95 grams) brown sugar

3 large eggs at room temperature
1 teaspoon
(5 ml) vanilla extract

1 cup warm (235 ml) coffee or strong tea

1/2 cup (120 ml) fresh orange juice

1/4 cup (60 ml) whisky
1/2 cup (45 to 55 grams) flaked almonds (optional)

Fits in three loaf pans, two 9-inch square or round cake pans, or one 9 by 13 inch cake sheet.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously grease pan(s) ....I prefer those pre made greaseproof liners.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and allspice. Make a well in the center, and add oil, honey, white sugar, brown sugars, eggs, vanilla, coffee or tea, orange juice and whisky.
Using a strong wire whisk or an electric mixer on slow speed, stir together well to make a thick, well-blended batter, making sure that no ingredients are stuck to the bottom.
Spoon batter into prepared pan(s). Sprinkle top of cake(s) evenly with almonds, if using. Place cake pan(s) on two baking sheets, stacked together (this will ensure the cakes bake properly with the bottom baking faster than the cake interior and top).
Bake until cake tests done, that is, it springs back when you gently touch the cake center loaf cakes, about 45 to 55 minutes. For sheet style cakes, baking time is 40 to 45 minutes.
Let cake stand fifteen minutes before removing from pan.

I know what you mean.I hate to think of bees' lives wasted on a fifth of a teaspoon of fatal slog!
I scrape every last bit out of the honey buckets and the extractor.
I've had more honey than ever this year (but nowhere near some on here :) ) so I have bits and bobs of saved dregs in the fridge and assorted jars for sorting.

I meant the frame, not the honey! However, I'm just the same when it comes to scraping out every last bit of honey I can manage to harvest.
Cazza

Latest posts

Back