BeeBox BeeHive - poly hive advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi,
I’ve just purchased a BeeBox BeeHive (which is polystyrene). I’ve never used a polystyrene hive before and wonder whether anyone has any practical advice for using them. Thanks!

Hi,
I’ve just purchased a BeeBox BeeHive (which is polystyrene). I’ve never used a polystyrene hive before and wonder whether anyone has any practical advice for using them. Thanks!

I bought my first polybox at 1987. They are still in usage.
Painting is very practical. When you need to glue something in the box, use PU glue. It hardens with water. Spray first the surfaces with water mist.

You may push the hive wall components together, but it is better if you put PU glue into joints with water.

Do NOT lever on the box sides to move combs. (dents occur if you do).
Be careful splitting boxes apart. Use a thin hive tool and lever only when well inserted or you will break/bend corners.
Do not leave smokers on the roof (I see lots of polyhives with partially melted roofs). Or add a layer of thin wood at bottom of smoker to prevent heat damage (tied with thin wire to smoker cage/handle.)

I’ve used polyhives over the last 18 months mainly for my out-apiaries as lighter. Generally I like them, as so light and bees over winter well.
I have a large plastic tub that I put a bleach solution in (or washing soda) if a brood box needs cleaning due to swopping between colonies. I dunk each side in it for 20 mins or more and hold down with a couple of house bricks. Works a treat.
I use the Paradise (Finnish) boxes available from Bee Equipment or Modern Beekeeping. They only hold 10 frames but most of my colonies need 16 frames so would need double brood anyway.

Only thing I don’t like, is the runners are flat and bottom bee space doesn’t allow space for an elevated runner, so compared to wooden boxes with runners that leave a bee space below the frame you have to be very careful when lifting and replacing frames, not to crush bees by moving them out the way. Find this slows down inspections. If I was buying again I would choose a polyhive that has a better runner system. Interested to hear from anyone else using these types of boxes if they have any tips in this area?

Newest polyboxes are such that they have bee space under the frames and above the frames. When you use old and new boxes, they do not match together.

Metal runners do not save you.

No need for metal runners on Paradise Bee Box as they have integrated plastic runners that are hard enough to withstand a life time of use.

We use allot of paradise poxes National and Langstroth.

. If I was buying again I would choose a polyhive that has a better runner system. Interested to hear from anyone else using these types of boxes if they have any tips in this area?
I use Abelo with a plastic bee space eke screwed on top

I have Paradise Langstroth. Top Bee Space.

No need for metal runners on Paradise Bee Box as they have integrated plastic runners that are hard enough to withstand a life time of use.

We use allot of paradise poxes National and Langstroth.
Hi yes they’re fine for overall wear and tear but less good for the bees, as unlike wooden boxes there isn’t space when putting the frames down beneath the lugs and the runners, so bees easily get crushed if you’re not careful. I like Dani’s idea (see below)

That’s a good idea Dani, thanks. When you’re next checking your bees would you be able to send me a photo pls? Where did you buy plastic your ekes from? I’ve only seen wooden.
Elaine
Home made. Either from those plastic fillets they use on UPVC windows. You can buy them in six foot lengths and they are 8mm or from some polycarbonate I had lying around.
You do of course end up with beespace top and bottom but the only time a brood goes in a super ( say in a Demaree) it’s on a QX anyway.
PS. You could use wood. Yes it will compromise the insulation a little but you have a nice deep poly roof on so I doubt it makes much difference

Home made. Either from those plastic fillets they use on UPVC windows. You can buy them in six foot lengths and they are 8mm or from some polycarbonate I had lying around.
You do of course end up with beespace top and bottom but the only time a brood goes in a super ( say in a Demaree) it’s on a QX anyway.
PS. You could use wood. Yes it will compromise the insulation a little but you have a nice deep poly roof on so I doubt it makes much difference
Thankyou. Good advice I will try it.

Do not leave smokers on the roof (I see lots of polyhives with partially melted roofs). Or add a layer of thin wood at bottom of smoker to prevent heat damage (tied with thin wire to smoker cage/handle.)
I have the t'shirt for that! :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back