BeeBase, the Good the Bad and the Ugly !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I tried that url. Allegedly, my data was included in six data breaches in the past. I have never been on any of the websites or had dealings with the organisations concerned. I think that even that "haveIbeenpwned" webpage is a scam to get money off me so that I can get more detail of the "breaches".

To eschew the use of a website and a service which is established for the benefit of beekeepers because of fears of privacy breaches seems unnecessarily paranoid....and that from me...a very cynical and hardened, somewhat anti-establishment beekeeper.!

In 2015 I had an outbreak of AFB traced (Via DNA) to a nearby beekeeper who abandoned his hives nearby when they had AFB (Which they apparently caught for his home hives).

The BI would not tell me who he was in line with their policy. Fair enough.
He was not registered.

My view is simple .Anyone un-registered and found to have diseased hives has ALL their hives seized - and is fined £1,000 per hive,

But this will never happen.

It makes me laugh when I read people moaning about data protection,your data is out there from the day you are born and your parents fill in the birth certificate.Most of us have a mobile phone or have filled in various forms at some time.If somebody is that determined to find out anything then most of it is on the Dark Web. I think some have become quite paranoid about big brother ,He,s already here and has been here for years.

dad-says-youre-spying-us-online-hes-not-your-dad-obama-kid cropped.jpg

I tried that url. Allegedly, my data was included in six data breaches in the past. I have never been on any of the websites or had dealings with the organisations concerned. I think that even that "haveIbeenpwned" webpage is a scam to get money off me so that I can get more detail of the "breaches".

To eschew the use of a website and a service which is established for the benefit of beekeepers because of fears of privacy breaches seems unnecessarily paranoid....and that from me...a very cynical and hardened, somewhat anti-establishment beekeeper.!
I tried it as well I have 5 data breaches on site I have never heard of, maybe the scammers have scammed it, it looks like a scammer site :(

I tried it as well I have 5 data breaches on site I have never heard of, maybe the scammers have scammed it, it looks like a scammer site :(

It's a highly reputable and useful site.

Your data makes its way into lots of databases that you haven't heard of. Just because you don't recognise the website doesn't mean anything. Read the description of each hack for more details. Some of the hacks will just be your email address, but others will be more serious. As long as you keep good password security and are aware of scam tactics you should be fine

If your details are listed on haveIbeenpwned CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS!

You are right to recommend that everyone ought to be cautious in general. A good "for instance" came up a few minutes ago. I have a letter telling me my ten years are up and I need to apply for a new drivers' licence. Number one issue: even the DVLA letter says to ensure I'm using the official website as there are sites which exist as an unnecessary go-between who skim additional costs from you.

Once I'm on the official website I'm asked for my driver's licence number, the issue number, an obscure number on the back, my national insurance number, my mother's maiden name, my town of birth etc.....they don't need to know my pets' name which are "Bee 1,2 3, etc......" In answering these questions I did have some misgivings because in various combinations this data might get someone into many important accounts. So I double-checked the web address and had a few minutes' pause whilst I thought about it........caution is what's called for, not blind fear. :)

By the way, last night I tried to log onto Beebase. It must be quite secure because as last time, it prompted me to change the password. Whilst on there I went into my secure area and updated the home apiary and added one where I'm planning to put a hive next year. I was then able to immediately make it non-current and sit on it until I place the hive. This also enabled me to see the apiary density in another part of the county. The system is very flexible and easy to use. It would be good if everyone who is registered would do a bit of annual maintenance on their account whilst things are quiet and have settled down.

Last edited:
Well I deserve to be hacked and have made a mental note to update my passwords at least . But back to ops question…..
Informed if there is deseaze in my area and

“Signing up to BeeBase as a Beekeeper will enable you to take advantage of the free services we offer. No charge is made for an apiary visit by a fully qualified Bee-inspector. The inspector will check for signs of disease or pests, and will provide you with help and advice on good husbandry, and how to tackle any potential problems they may find. All have extensive experience of managing colonies of bees and are keen apiarists themselves. They will always try and keep any disruption during a visit to an absolute minimum and provide you with up to date information and advice. You will also have access to all the latest information regarding disease and pest outbreaks and the results of various research projects and latest advisory information.”

if they do decide to charge in future I may consider a letter of protest to my mp or use my anual bbka subs

I think there's plenty of evidence that brood diseases do spread naturally and that there are still plenty of bees.
It will spread locally until it wipes out the local population and then dies out as there are no more hosts.

In effect we have a no blame culture in this. I'm not aware of any legislation an individual can be prosecuted for; for their bee's contracting a disease.

The issues are; you have a growing broad church of those who do not treat coupled with beekeeping being an expensive hobby. To stand there and watch your hives and bees go up in smoke literally can be extremely expensive and more than likely wipe out a hobby beek with no real insurance to cover start again costs. Look at TB in cattle and the compo farmers get. It might help if a similar scheme was put in place for beeks.
I was thinking more along the lines of trust, prejudice, the 3 monkeys syndrome and common sense. Legality has almost nothing to do with it.

Reactions: mbc
It will spread locally until it wipes out the local population and then dies out as there are no more hosts.

You would be correct with that statement if we didn't all benefit from the prompt and efficient services of that organisation of which you seem to be a detractor, despite admitting that you know nothing about it. :banghead:

You do realise that bees fly quite long distances, right?

Where are these natural barriers that will stop foul brood spreading out of a particular locality?

But no evidence to the contrary. If foul brood spread 'naturally' there would be little or no bees.

You think foul brood doesn't spread from colony to colony naturally? Do you know anything about it? Or the natural robbing behaviours of bees? Or swarms?

Back