BeeBase, the Good the Bad and the Ugly !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s unmanageable and only a small vocal-ish minority shouting mildly loudly for it…….trying to temper myself:)
I suppose you could liken it for the British appeal to queue………….
Ooohhh, we do like a bit a red tape, big brother & bureaucracy to cure all the really big issues of society.
Shame the people who really need to be managed won’t give a flying fig about it and the good olde folk will just have something else to concern themselves with………..oh & then no doubt get charged for the privilege somewhere down the line.
I’m guessing you may think I’m against registering…………….you’d be right

Shame the people who really need to be managed won’t give a flying fig about it and the good olde folk will just have something else to concern themselves with………..
I’m guessing you may think I’m against registering…………….you’d be right

Matthew 12:37. ;)

It's not possible to effectively police many scenarios where the law is clear what should be done. But the fact that the law exists does create a level of law-abiding behaviour.

There are many examples where this statement is simply not true. To pick a few;

Speeding [in 2017 1.38m people were convicted of speeding in the UK; 86% of ALL drivers speed in a 20mph zone]
Knife crime
murder
Fishing
Poaching

A sample of activities regulated by law where people break those laws on a daily basis.

So what? paying a tenner or fifty quid or ten times that each, will not generate sufficient income to fund proper management of the problem from within the NBU. It will just make the hobby or living more expensive and will achieve little.

Reactions: mbc
I keep seeing obscure comments regarding BeeBase, what exactly is the problem ? for me, I would promote compulsory registration
BeeBase (which I know nothing about) sounds like another top down control. If another beekeeper in my area was causing problems I would go knock on their door.

I don't disagree with you at all, though I do want to highlight an elephant in the room. The British “establishment/authorities” have a notably abysmal record of co-operation with others, both domestically and internationally, both historically and currently too. A no blame culture would be a very welcome step along the road.

In effect we have a no blame culture in this. I'm not aware of any legislation an individual can be prosecuted for; for their bee's contracting a disease.

The issues are; you have a growing broad church of those who do not treat coupled with beekeeping being an expensive hobby. To stand there and watch your hives and bees go up in smoke literally can be extremely expensive and more than likely wipe out a hobby beek with no real insurance to cover start again costs. Look at TB in cattle and the compo farmers get. It might help if a similar scheme was put in place for beeks.

Anyone who does not put their apiary locations on Beebase is making it much harder for us to control the spread of foul brood disease in this country.
You could always stop importing foul brood in the first place?

BeeBase (which I know nothing about) sounds like another top down control. If another beekeeper in my area was causing problems I would go knock on their door.

.....and you would know for certain it was that person's fault???? Could we all follow that very hands-on method of disease control? :sport-smiley-002:

There are many examples where this statement is simply not true. To pick a few;

Speeding [in 2017 1.38m people were convicted of speeding in the UK; 86% of ALL drivers speed in a 20mph zone]
Knife crime
murder
Fishing
Poaching

A sample of activities regulated by law where people break those laws on a daily basis.

So what? paying a tenner or fifty quid or ten times that each, will not generate sufficient income to fund proper management of the problem from within the NBU. It will just make the hobby or living more expensive and will achieve little.

Would a deregulated country be a safer place where personal liberties would be increased?

Just to put the law into perspective, as mentioned generic oxalic acid is unregistered therefore off limits whereas putting organophosphates in your hive is perfectly legal in the form of checkmite if you go through a vet and say you need it through cascade. Our regulators are seriously remiss to allow such a situation to exist imho and fully deserve to be taken with a pinch of salt.
This is not to say the inspection service isn't one of the best in the world with well meaning individuals committed to improving bee health for everyone's benefit, in a way they get their funding under false pretences as some sort of bee gestapo, whereas what they are are state funded mentors and helpers, which obviously wouldn't get funded.
I'd advise every beekeeper to make themselves known to their sbi and strike up a working relationship, any forms and registration and government bulshit can be kept in the background, unless foulbrood is around and then you need the professional help to be rid of it.

It makes me laugh when I read people moaning about data protection,your data is out there from the day you are born and your parents fill in the birth certificate.Most of us have a mobile phone or have filled in various forms at some time.If somebody is that determined to find out anything then most of it is on the Dark Web. I think some have become quite paranoid about big brother ,He,s already here and has been here for years.

It makes me laugh when I read people moaning about data protection,your data is out there from the day you are born and your parents fill in the birth certificate.Most of us have a mobile phone or have filled in various forms at some time.If somebody is that determined to find out anything then most of it is on the Dark Web. I think some have become quite paranoid about big brother ,He,s already here and has been here for years.
The only enemy of privacy is apathy - and you seem to be spreading it. You CAN limit your data spread IF you spend a little time doing it. And it IS worth it. A mobile phone does not need to have location switched on, your real name in it etc. If you don't read the agreements on the web, opt out of trackers, use privacy settings - YOU are giving your data away unnecessarily.
Its not the people you give the data to that is the problem, its the people that get hold of it from them - they hack and sell your data on the dark net and YOU get a VERY convincing call from your bank etc. You may not fall for it, hope you don't, but many do and will. If they get enough data on you they can open a bank account in your name etc. Why risk it?
A quick check to see if your data is on the dark net - https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Just to put the law into perspective, as mentioned generic oxalic acid is unregistered therefore off limits whereas putting organophosphates in your hive is perfectly legal in the form of checkmite if you go through a vet and say you need it through cascade. Our regulators are seriously remiss to allow such a situation to exist imho and fully deserve to be taken with a pinch of salt.
This is not to say the inspection service isn't one of the best in the world with well meaning individuals committed to improving bee health for everyone's benefit, in a way they get their funding under false pretences as some sort of bee gestapo, whereas what they are are state funded mentors and helpers, which obviously wouldn't get funded.
I'd advise every beekeeper to make themselves known to their sbi and strike up a working relationship, any forms and registration and government bulshit can be kept in the background, unless foulbrood is around and then you need the professional help to be rid of it.
I believe that the cascade system is meant to be used only if no other treatment for the particular problem is not available, in the case of varroa we have options already licensed. A point worth making I think.

they can open a bank account in your name
That happened to me. I received an email from my bank saying "Thank you for opening a new account". I thought it was phishing at first but decided to call my bank to check, using the number on their website not the one in the email. It turned out that an account had been opened in my name. The bank dealt with it and set up a ClearScore account for me so that I can monitor my credit rating and watch for changes in bank accounts, credit cards and so on. Fortunately, nothing else has occurred. It's made me a lot more paranoid about my personal data, use of passwords etc..

Almost everything we put on a page electronically can be found by anyone easily, make a comment on this site then search the subject in google and you will probably find it.
I purchased my first computer in 1979/80 I ran my newspaper on and other companies on it, it was the size of a desk real to real and took all night to transfer just the text pages of my newspaper to our printer.

I digress, my point is I don’t believe I have ever been hacked, using the basic Norton software to whatever our IT support use now. The whole argument about information is a bit of a red herring. Illegal use by third parties is different, that is the voluntary transfer of information, different to hacking.

The only enemy of privacy is apathy - and you seem to be spreading it. You CAN limit your data spread IF you spend a little time doing it. And it IS worth it. A mobile phone does not need to have location switched on, your real name in it etc. If you don't read the agreements on the web, opt out of trackers, use privacy settings - YOU are giving your data away unnecessarily.
Its not the people you give the data to that is the problem, its the people that get hold of it from them - they hack and sell your data on the dark net and YOU get a VERY convincing call from your bank etc. You may not fall for it, hope you don't, but many do and will. If they get enough data on you they can open a bank account in your name etc. Why risk it?
A quick check to see if your data is on the dark net - https://haveibeenpwned.com/
That depends on whether you have ever been "a person of interest" for whatever reason. I'm sure government agencies can dig out a heck of a lot of information about you whatever mitigating actions you take. I should imagine even the most innocent person who travels abroad on a regular basis might be kept an eye on.

That depends on whether you have ever been "a person of interest" for whatever reason. I'm sure government agencies can dig out a heck of a lot of information about you whatever mitigating actions you take. I should imagine even the most innocent person who travels abroad on a regular basis might be kept an eye on.
Of course. But there is a difference between willingly giving your data away when you don't need to and having to give it to live a normal life. Beebase is voluntary.

That happened to me. I received an email from my bank saying "Thank you for opening a new account". I thought it was phishing at first but decided to call my bank to check, using the number on their website not the one in the email. It turned out that an account had been opened in my name. The bank dealt with it and set up a ClearScore account for me so that I can monitor my credit rating and watch for changes in bank accounts, credit cards and so on. Fortunately, nothing else has occurred. It's made me a lot more paranoid about my personal data, use of passwords etc..
a. Good your bank was on the ball
b. Lucky the hackers were not on the ball - if they had of been they would have changed your email password before making their move (and you would have been none the wiser.)
c. Lucky they did not get the full scam going and started taking out loans in your name.

Some people are not so lucky and the first they hear of a problem is when a bailiff turns op on their door.

"It's made me a lot more paranoid about my personal data, use of passwords etc.."
You are no longer the lowest hanging fruit on the tree now :)

Latest posts

Back