BeeBase, the Good the Bad and the Ugly !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.......... I think the security risks are minimal.
Based on?
They are not even registered with Cyber Essentials - which is BASIC cyber security
Also not registered with the ICO - which is a legal requirement for any organization collecting data
Unless they think they are exempt and not required to keep to the standards the rest of us have to comply with.

Last edited:
I think the fact that beebase is hosted by ferra and linked with defra along with the fact that this is a government contract should reassure sensible people that their data is secure

as for thieves nicking your hives. If they know enough to remove a hive of bees and transport them to a new location then finding you and where you keep your hives wouldn’t be hard.

A lot of smoke screens, the benefit V risk is well documented, as beekeepers we need to know were other potential risks are or at least the SBI needs to know but often do not.

It's not a choice, it's a legal requirement with livestock. How well you look after them is irrelevant to the need to register.
Everything is a choice, you choose which laws to follow. Plenty on here using unregistered OA
Is it not also true that all medication given to our little darlings should be fully recorded. So all purchase details, batch numbers, dates, disposal details etc etc should be recorded & kept for 5 years……….
I wonder how many comply with that little bit of bureaucracy

Is it not also true that all medication given to our little darlings should be fully recorded. So all purchase details, batch numbers, dates, disposal details etc etc should be recorded & kept for 5 years……….

.....and do you lie and record generic oxalic as the approved chemical and fraudulently reuse a genuine batch code or do you keep a written record which says that you have broken the regulations with generic product?

I think the fact that beebase is hosted by ferra and linked with defra along with the fact that this is a government contract should reassure sensible people that their data is secure

as for thieves nicking your hives. If they know enough to remove a hive of bees and transport them to a new location then finding you and where you keep your hives wouldn’t be hard.
Beebase being hosted by a government agency is my main worry. The UK Gov is very bad at keeping data safe - do look - List of UK government data losses - Wikipedia

Problem is, they are impervious to prosecution if they lost your data. A private company 'may' take it more seriously, but would HAVE to comply with data protection laws and could be prosecuted if they lost data.

No one can steal something they can't find. I can count on one had how many people know where my apiaries are. I am not going to exponentially increase that number. Plenty on this forum would know how to move my bees - NO ONE on here knows where they are.

I have put nothing on bee base that I wouldn't be happy to publish to the public. Seems a big fuss over not much to me! The location of my hives is on my honey jar!

No one can steal something they can't find. I can count on one had how many people know where my apiaries are. I am not going to exponentially increase that number. Plenty on this forum would know how to move my bees - NO ONE on here knows where they are.

I'm assuming that you either move your bees regularly or have camouflage to prevent them being spotted by satellite photography. Doesn't take much to view through google maps and find potential apiaries locally in the built up south east. I suspect finding them in the middle of the Cambrian mountains wouldn't be impossible with time

Enrico, I agree. My address is on my honey labels and I give a geographical location. I like to recycle this image when given the chance

1634632534159.png

Well, as long as you keep your tinfoil hats on whilst sleeping and remember, each night to safely store your mobile in the microwave (which is the only place you should make 'phonecalls from anyway) you'll be safe as houses.
Goodness,I thought for a moment I'd stumbled into an anti vaxers forum!!

Yes- others doing or not doing it does not make it any more or less a legal requirement.

One reason for the record keeping is that if there are any issues with the medications used, they should thus theoretically be traceable/able to be recalled. It also means if any honey is found contaminated then the records can help reveal why. It's a faff but there is a rationale behind it.

I agree - Security will be a much larger financial risk for farmers and DEFRA could not afford to alienate them so they will have secure systems.
Maybe IndiBee can try and break into BeeBase and let us how he gets on....

I'm assuming that you either move your bees regularly or have camouflage to prevent them being spotted by satellite photography. Doesn't take much to view through google maps and find potential apiaries locally in the built up south east. I suspect finding them in the middle of the Cambrian mountains wouldn't be impossible with time

I don't move the bees and you can;t see them on Google earth or Google maps etc. I know exactly where they are and can't see them from those websites myself. You either understand security or you don't. If you don't you are just crossing your fingers.

I don't move the bees and you can;t see them on Google earth or Google maps etc. I know exactly where they are and can't see them from those websites myself. You either understand security or you don't. If you don't you are just crossing your fingers.

Am I the only one who feels like this is a challenge to locate the hives?

To be honest I was half wondering about the possibility of making a number of Slovenian style hives and creating a bunker on the local heath to hide them securely in... Just to see if I could...

I think there are far too many unregistered beekeepers for beebase to be really effective.
Just thinking of all the swarms we collect from unknown sources.
I don't think it will change even if a law was passed insisting on hives being registered.
A person with a hive behind the garage producing 12lb of honey for their personal needs has no incentive to get registered especially if they fear it will cost money.

Latest posts

Back