Beebase registration is insecure

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suggest you read some of the fera literature on it. Google fera and small hive beetle plan. The pdf explains the options.

Yes had a day of it with Defra/ BDI etc etc.... pests and bee diseases workshop last year

but what on Earth dose this have to do with the OP ???

other than lets have a pop at Icanhopit in the usual Thymallus way?

:serenade:

Yeghes da

More likely to be found in Cornwall first, yes, reckon so.
Since all previous imports have been in bees, hive products etc. and the NBU risk assessment suggests these are the most likely future source it's most likely to appear where imports occur. Whether these are documented, inspected or otherwise remains to be determined.

Is that really Cornwall?

Yes had a day of it with Defra/ BDI etc etc.... pests and bee diseases workshop last year

Well you obviously weren't paying attention. .......
To save you the trouble of reading it again here is a direct quote from the FERA SHB PDF.
So please don't dismiss posts based on factual information as scaremongering.

"on the two notifiable honey bee pest in the UK, the
Small hive beetle and Tropilaelaps spp. mites. If an
exotic species is suspected, a Statutory Infected
Area (SIA) will be declared, which would extend
to an area with a radius of at least 16 km around
the suspect apiary or premises where the beetle
(adult, pupa, larva or eggs) has been found.
Emergency searches of apiaries around the first
find will be completed very quickly to decide
whether the pest can be eradicated or whether
the beetle is already established. Further details
of proposed actions are available in the
Contingency Plan. The Contingency Plan is
available on BeeBase. (https://secure.fera.defra
.gov.uk/beebase/index.cfm?pageid=206).

Whats to hide?

Once was the day when the LOCAL Bee Inspector knew most if not all of the beekeeperers on his or her patch......

Today ( at least down in Cornwall) we do not have a single Seasonal Inspector ( Vacancies have been advertised) and our Regional chap lives 2 counties away!

All will change when the leglislation changes..... bees are now "food producing stock".

Daresay a time will come soon when ALL beekeepers, even if you only have a small TBH for pollination...will come under compulsory regulation and registration.

As with pigs ... including "pet" potbellied... you will have to have a stock/herd number and registered place you keep it... and apply for a movement order to take it on holiday.. to stud... sell or sausage factory! ( not sure of terminology as SWMBO does it!)

Yes I would most certainly like to know of any major disease problem with bees in my area.... and the old SBIs did a really good job down here.

All the pros and cons of compulsory registration have been discussed before.

Registration is around the corner ( May 7th probably!!)

Meanwhile GCHQ are watching YOU!!!

Yeghes da

I don't have a problem with registration. Anyone keeping animals should be licensed in some way and that includes dogs.

SHB is usually only a problem to small hives and weak colonies according to the Americans. I don't think think FERA (or whatever the new bee unit is now called) will be so discriminating.

That is why it is known as Small hive beetle... I was wondering if there was a Big hive beetle.....
Drunk too much Camel water possibly?

Yeghes da

Latest posts

Back